Possible to Plate Steele??

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I have read a primer about plating from EG where he stated that the problem with plating steel sleeve engines comes from what needs to be done to the steel in order for the plating to adhere to the steele. The prep process would destroy exposed aluminum. This makes it impractical to do to the steele lined engines. But what if the liners were out of the aluminum cylinder? Wouldnt it be easy to treat and plate? The steele liners of my Sea-Doo Rotax motor are easy to remove.

Would this be worth looking into for a steel sleeved motor to offer longetivity and performance?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
2strok4fun said:
Would this be worth looking into for a steel sleeved motor to offer longetivity and performance?

Chris.

The advantage of using a plated cylinder rather than a steel sleeve is performance. On a plated cylinder you can run a lot tighter clearance on your piston. Less compression loss. Both the piston and cylinder are aluminum and expand together during warm up. Weight savings is also an advantage.

A steel sleeved cylinder has to have more clearance because of the difference in the expansion rate between the aluminum and the steel. The aluminum piston heats up and expands much faster than the steel sleeve and would seize if you tried to run it with less clearance.

Just my $ .02 :thumb:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Since Eric first wrote that there have been some advances in plating that enables steel liners to be coated properly. Eric has done some vintage engines using this process as a way to minimize wear in hard to replace barrels.

Unfortunately I don't have any real knowledge of the process so I'll ask him to pop into this thread and give us some details.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Id love to hear from Eric re: the plating and possible cost to do a 88mm bore sleeve (x2).

Terry- The engine comes from Rotax with the sleeves, it is not a plated aluminum bore to start, I am looking to gain some of the advantages plating offers, reduced friction, reduced wear, reduced blow by. The sleeves remove easily using the oven, (when the wife isnt home :p ), should I use convection or conventional. :think:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
2strok4fun - Advanced Sleeve can probably make you up an aluminum sleeve for this engine which can be plated and really gain the advantages of a plated cylinder.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
2strok4fun - Advanced Sleeve can probably make you up an aluminum sleeve for this engine which can be plated and really gain the advantages of a plated cylinder.

Hmmm, now that would be nice. Wouldnt that improve the heat transfer as well?

I am debating how much dollars I am going to sink into this ski, as I may swap out for the direct injection model of the same ski, now that modifications are starting to become avail for the DI. BUT, the barrel would swap out, not the head.

Ill call Advanced, LA Sleeve is close to me, but they only have stock steel replacement.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
2strok4fun said:
Hmmm, now that would be nice. Wouldnt that improve the heat transfer as well?

In most cases yes. Whether or not that proves to be significant depends a lot on the state of tune of the engine.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Terry - I'm not sure on the alloy , but I have their catalog at home, I'll check and see if they have tech data in there.

Link is http://www.advancedsleeve.com/

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Eric has made a lot of prototype plated sleeves from 6061 in the past so it's worth a try.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…