firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Here I am 2 days post op on my second ACL reconstruction, and I just wanted to check in--I feel great! Compared to my first time around, this time is sooooo much better. I have a new doctor who used the patellar tendon as a graft this time (last doc did the hamstring) and that has to be what makes the difference. There isn't nearly as much pain as there was the first time. It's absolutely amazing. I must have gotten a really talented doctor too.

Anyway I just wanted to share the good news--surgery isn't fun but this is much better than it was before, so I feel good! Time to go take another pill and go to bed. Everybody have fun riidng for me.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Heal up in as much time as it takes. Glad it went well, just take it easy.
Ops aren't fun, but it's the being under that scares me, not the actual op or post-op.

Take care & don't rush it (yeah, I know, it's the other knee this time & you're impatient hehehe) ;)
Michelle

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Good to hear Sharla, take it easy and do your therapy.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
That's great news. Take your time and heal well (and stay on your feet when you go dancing!).

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks guys! I still can't get over how different it is this time. I have even cut back on some of the painkillers, since the headaches and nausea they cause are worse than the twinges in my knee this time. Last time I was counting minutes until I could take another pill.

Well anyway I haven't started therapy yet, I'm sure THAT will change it all! But I WILL be there for Reno so at least I have a goal.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Hmmm, the few people I know that have had hamstring grafts seemed to have less pain than I did with my patellar graft. Interesting.

I was off the Vicodin after 4 pills - Advil was strong enough.

Glad to hear your doing well.

Brian

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
It must be a difference in doctor technique. The differences between the first time and this time are incredible. My doc told me he preferred the patellar, and that I'd have a little less pain, but I didn't expect this. Maybe I've just toughened up a hair in the last 2 years too (yeah right.) Also weird, the swelling seems to be far, far less this time. As in, instead of looking like a stuffed sausage from ankle to thigh, my leg just has a few puffy spots. I'm not complainin.'

I didn't quit the vicodin, only the oxycontin. I keep getting headaches though I might go back the other way--oxycontin and aleve, or ask for some vioxx.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by James
How/When did you hurt this one?

I fell off a fence. Pretty stupid really. Oh well it probably would have happened eventually anyway.

Good luck on your surgery!

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Sheesh, Sharla!! This is the first time in quite a while I have surfed DRN, and the first post I see is that you had knee surgery AGAIN!!! I am glad to see it went better this time, but am sorry to hear that you had to go through that again!! See--riding your dirt bike is safer than falling off a fence! Hang in there, and glad you are doing well.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I learned my lesson about fence sitting! I think I'd be safer starting bar brawls! I'll be under the influence for a while, if the pills hold out. Not too crazy about the oxycontin but the vicodin makes everything a nice fuzzy haze.

I'm actually going crazy already because my leg is starting to ache--you know that ache you get when you sit in one position too long? well I have that, plus it hurts to move. Ah well I've already started to get some mobility back. Plus if it didn't hurt I'd have nothing to whine about.

I think I'll be back on my feet pretty well this time. I have to--there's an assload of stairs to get to my apartment.

Bbbom, are you guys still camping Halloween weekend? If you are and Keith wants to go, I might take both bikes up there, let him ride whichever he wants and let the other be a spare, and I could crutch myself around camp until the drinkin gets started. :aj:

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
FC good the hear your surgery whent so well this time around :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
If Keith is up to it, we will probably head up Saturday morning, and hit some parties or clubs in town on Friday night. I'll talk to him and see.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Sharla,
The only real drawback to the patellar graft is that almost 4 years after surgery I still can't kneel on my left knee w/o a kneepad - it feels too weird/hurts a little too much. I've gotten so used to kneeling on my right knee that it's causing me a bit of a problem in the police academy because some of the intstructors in firearms & defensive tactics are pretty hung up on following the letter when it comes to 'proper position' - I shoot kneeling with my right knee on the ground regardless of what hand/side I'm shooting from.

It's a tough habit to break after 4 years.

Brian

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
It was great getting the chance to talk to you in your haze last night. :confused: I agree with Steve... stick to falling off of bikes. It's so much safer. :) Stick to the PT and heal up quick. :thumb:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by dirty~d~
It was great getting the chance to talk to you in your haze last night. :confused: I agree with Steve... stick to falling off of bikes. It's so much safer. :) Stick to the PT and heal up quick. :thumb:

I loved hearing from you, I miss you sister :)

Top Bottom