SGJ_Johansen

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 28, 2004
Hey guys I can't wait to here all the trailfest 2005 tales. I hape to be home in 6-7weeks and am dying for some pictures and tales of the campfire, and ride reports. Hope everyone had a good time and a safe ride.

Brian

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
SGJ_Johansen said:
I hape to be home in 6-7weeks

Brian

Great news buddy.............can't wait to see you again! :cool: Stay safe.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Brian - The first tale is that I'm going to be extra carefull with my riding, knowing that although you are looking out for me, it happens to be far away. You'll be a guardian angel over my shoulder.

Young Ted

Loctite

Jun 1, 2001
Brian - Glad to hear the news on coming home. The roost we will be seeing at trail feast is nothing compared to the roost you have been taking for all of us back home. Thank you and stay safe!

Craig

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Brian,

Always good to hear your good news...

I tried to e-mail you the other day after I went by the trailhead over by Manton...

It put me in mind of the first time you guys went thru those woods smokin'

Be safe, be well, and God bless you,

Pastor Mike (aka circuit rider)

C

circuit rider

Tf 05 Has Begun !

Trailfest got started Friday with a pre-ride/layout session.

As usual, F&S, Fast Freddy, Uncle Larry and I were out checkin' out the woods, the slimy leaves, the wet rocks, the traction, the color and the beautiful sunshine in the Northern Michigan woods.

It will be fantastic!!

Hope you all can make it bigger and better than previous TFs.

Mike Sr.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Awesome weekend! Big thanks to LMC/Crew for putting this together and letting us stay at the luxurious Jack Pine Lodge. The food was fantastic, that FredT can cook some serious grub!
I lagged behind the fast group on Saturday. I think they were the fast group, maybe I was behind the kids... I did get passed by a RM80 once or twice.. Trail was excellent. Nice new cycle trail (event class). 18.7 miles worth, according to my gadgets. Ended up with right around 30 miles of trail on Saturday. I did some DS exploring after that and racked up another 40 miles.. It was just perfect weather.

Sunday I went off to explore more 2 tracks for future DS event course usage. I know there is a ton of awesome stuff in the area, but never have time to explore when we need to put a route through. Racked up another 80+ miles of stuff that will make for an excellent route for a future event (Dual Sport stuff).
The mini-bike race Saturday after dinner was good entertainment.
Ran across the grader on Sunday, apparently part of Saturday's crew had found him as well the day before. We chatted for a bit, he enjoys a good excuse for break time.

I'll leave the tales of broken bones and stolen radiators to those who can spin a better yarn than I.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
OK here we go...

I got up the LMC Clubgrounds around noon on Friday and set up camp, then I hung out wirh "Unkle Larry" until Mike got there. Eventually we all got ready to Ride, i called it the "geezer" ride because 2 riders were in their 60's, me in my 50's and Mike was the damn kid in his upper 30's. I guess we rode 20 + miles, I don't know. We check out a course and put up ribbon. The trails were slick, covered in leaves and challenging from the rains all week. We could tell the ride was going to be great! That night we houg out at the camp fire and cooked chicken over the fire and feasted, then helped campers get set up as they arrived all while drinking a few beers. That night got very cold.

IN the morning there was frozen tundra like I've never seen at TF before. It got in the mid 20's over night and the hoses to the RV's froze. So in the morning we were fighting off the cold and slow to get motivated to ride. Virgina and Kenny were making coffee and breakfast by the big fire as people arrived and got signed up. The four strokes were ornery and not starting but eventually all of them got started. I was screwing around trying to thaw out the hose, get my daughters bike running, get geared up and make the riders meeting. I showed up as mike was saying that I'd lead the first group, crap I had to pee and get my helmet on., By the time it got out there 70%^ oif the riders left. I got into the group and we were maiking the trails. There were a few nuts hammering the throttles early and I was happy to let them go. I'm a slow starter in the mornings and need a few miles to get my body to cooperate. I was just starting to feel my groove coming and as I got to an intersection I heard "FRED!" So i stop and salgeek tells me my radiator is leaking. Crap, done for the day! I watched all the riders go by and after enjoying the nice sunny morning Uncle Larry comes to the rescue. He gets me to the first gast stop as the riders are just ready to leave and we head out to second gas. At second gas we hang out, eat and the riders leave. They were going to go right by us so we just waited for them.In the mean while I'm skeeming a plan to see if I can find a KTM that can loan me a radiator. Then we hear that there is a rider with a broken collarbone we need to help. So off we go and when we get to the spot we hear there are 2 riders injured and need assistance. We go to the spot where one fo the riders ar ehurnt and it's KTM Mike and they tell me to gear up and ride his bike out. Cool, I get to ride again. After a great deal of consoling Mike I beg him to loan me his radiator and he agrees. So once we get back to the clubgrounds Randy V (V man) rips his bake apart in rocord time and we wait for Larry to return with My bike to make the swap. Larry arrives and after a little mechanical advice from Young Ted randy finishes the job as I had to get cooking.

I think I was cooking for over an hour but all were fed and full. Then Loctite borrows my 110 to play with "Pinecone" on the grass field. soon the cones are out and soon I'm getting my helmet. Small bikes start showing up in the field and pretty soon there some mini bike racing going on and I'm in the thick of it. We raced out there to the pleasure of the crowd. After it got dark it was time to park the mini's and drink more beer!

Sunday morning arrived with much warmer temps and a little after 10 Am about 20 bikes leave and we take a nice 30 mile ride. It was awesome weather and it was great to be riding again. I wish I got to ride more on Sat but I guess I'll be OK to ride the Enduro next weekend at Goshen as long as I just trail ride it and pace my self. I'll get beat bad but at least I'm riding!! :cool:

See ya next weekend in Goshen!!!!

upnorth

Feb 3, 2005
Thanks to Mike for the event. The wife and I had a great time even on our slow Drz's. And thanks to all that led. And I did find out that I love tight single track, but I need a lighter bike. So everyone that has been around knows how friendly KTM owners are at loaning a bike for a test drive. I wish they wouldn't have. YA now I want one. But it gets better. The wife wants one to. So life is great, except now I have to start looking for 2 KTM's. And big thanks to Fred T for dinner and all others that brought the fabulous eats. For some reason food tasts better when you don't have to cook.

V-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 13, 2000
Another great Trailfest! Thanks for all the hard work Mike and Fred. We always look forward to hanging out at the clubgrounds and riding with all of you. Sorry about KTM Mike getting hurt, {and stealing your radiator :laugh: } Let us know what the x-ray shows.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Awesome Trail, Weather And People

2TrakR said:
I'll leave the tales of broken bones and stolen radiators to those who can spin a better yarn than I.

Brian - looks like that is 2TrakR's que to me to chime in as I am one of the (possible) broken bones and definetly a victim of radiator theft!

mY ONe handed hunt and peck is rather slow, so you will have to read slowly ok?

I will jump right to my uh...bit of soil sampling. Nice tight bit of awesome woods trail, i was having a blast rippin along - then a bit of trail junk jumped out in front of me, flung me up in the air a bit, off to the right. From what Ted and i were able to reconstruct, i ended up coming down on lump of ground, forks compressed and tucked - over the bars I went. I landed on my right hand and hyper extended it. Sparkey came across me first - evidently my bike was sitting upside down, blaanced on the handlebars! I do need t thank Sparkey, V-Man, and Ted for helping me out, and 70Marlin as well. Sparkey and Vman headed back to the 2nd gas spot (i think it was the Snickers break spot?) a ways back to find a truck for me. Meanwhile I decided to try to ride out with Ted following me (thanks for starting thebike up for me) - made it all of 3/10ths of a mile - could not hang onto the bars or turn the trhottle.

Walked back to a two track to see ULORABRS ( Uncle Larry's Off Road Ambulance and Bike Rescue Service) (thanks to Larry! send the bill to BCBS ok!) waiting for me already - with a rather Eager Fred T (his bike in the back of the truck already due to a stick jammed throudh the radiaotor). We chat for a second (Fred of course making sure to ask how my hand was). Larry mentinos our nezt stop was a collar bone rescue a ways down the trail and the trailer runneth over. (he already had two TTRs on the trailer..not sure the storry there) Being the rather kind and considerate person he is, Fred makes the supreme sacrifice, and volunteers to ride my bike back for me, then he says "How would you like a brand new radiaotr shipped to your house next week?" I mumble "yeah..sure sounds good."

Larry and I were then off to Mr. Collar Bone. Kurt (Kurt704 i think on DRN?) al the way from Indiana. We gingerly get him loaded up (he was hurting pretty bad from what I could see). Larry did his best to miss all the bumps (he kept watching poor Kurt wince with each one and would slow down and take the smooth lines!)..

Before long we roll into LMC clubgrounds. I walk over to my motorhome actually not expecting Fred to even be back yet (I assumed he would take in some trail miles along the way). Much to my amazement - there was my bike....minus a few part! Seat and tank off and strangley enough...a radiator missing! Within a matter of minutes they had Fred's bike unloaded, and Randy was tearing it down and swapping out the bad and in the good! Fred was good to go for riding on Sunday. I am sure it would of been rather disappointing for him to nto ride given his long layoff from riding this summer. Glad it worked out for him (it always pays off to have riding buddys with the same model and year of biek you do!)

My entire right hand is rather swollen up and bruised right now. I will see the doc tomorrow and find out the damages officially - Dr. MotoMarie already officially pronounced it "suspicious looking" though. Not exAclty sure what that means thogh! Not sure I want to either.

We had a great feast on Fred T bugers and all the other goodies others brought along. Oh - this is for you CR250 - your wife's meatball recipe has now made it to the Trail Fest favorites list thanks to Smit Dog and Maureen! We all sat around the fire for quite a while - i had to have help opening my beers - fortunately I could always find some one willing to help out.. BadgerMan, RedGreen, Sparkey and I swapped lies for quite a while after the others headed to bed (holy Wa Der Tovio and Annio, eh?)

Sunday was rather uneventful for me. I hung out for a while, then conned Tom and SmitDog to help me load up the bike etc., and headed home.

In spite of a hand the size of a ham right now - I still had a blast! I will post some pics later on.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Ok - while i was in the midst of my painfully slow one handed hunt and peck, all the other's posts got in before me. Note the slightly differing versions of the radiator storry:

Fred T:

After a great deal of consoling Mike I beg him to loan me his radiator and he agrees.

Me:

"How would you like a brand new radiaotr shipped to your house next week?" I mumble "yeah..sure sounds good."

:nener:

I am glad it worked out for you fred! I know how frustrating it is when you cant ride but want to!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
(holy Wa Der Tovio and Annio, eh?)

:rotfl:

Best of luck with the doctor tomorrow my ham-fisted friend. It's really a shame that you could not join us today as it was a wonderful ride. We missed having you along.

Hopefull we will hear that all is well with Kurt pretty soon. :nod:

Thanks to everyone. What a wonderful weekend, eh?

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
What a great weekend!!! The weather was perfect, despite a cold start to Saturday. The sun was out in full force, so we all were warm and those that wore coats shed them at the first stop.

Mike had arranged for some awesome single track, some of the best around! I got my KTM450 through that stuff pretty well. After riding with the group and feeling the greatest I've felt in 3 to 4 years, I decided to split off and ride with my wife and daughter. I didn't want to push the riding too much because muscle cramps still plague me. Not as bad as the last two years, but still annoying.

Emily got pretty comfortable on her new CRF150, and we did a little trail circuit on Saturday. I think we got her hooked on riding again. Marie rode a little with us, but had to go back and check on the pumpkin pie she was making for the Saturday feast.

And feast we did! Fred's cooking was much appreciated, and everyone brought great sides to go with the burgers and chicken. I laughed a little when I saw the desert table, which had twice as much stuff on it as the side dish table. Dirt bikers sure have their eating priorities right!

Sunday started with a lot warmer day. I decided to leave the KTM at home and try the YZF250. Being much lighter, I had a real blast on it until we got in the tight stuff, then the MX suspension and brakes reminded me they weren't set up for tight stuff and going over logs. It was a great ride anyway, and again I split off, way to early actually, to avoid the cramps and ride with the family again.

Emily and I rode around the local grounds. After many laps she piled in a tree and had a pretty bad getoff. Nothing worse than seeing one of your kids pile in front of you. I dropped the YZF and went to check her out. After awhile on the ground, I figured she had two hyper-extended fingers and not much else thank God. We got the bikes back, got ice on the hand and packed up for the weekend.

MANY thanks to Mike and Fred for setting up another fantastic weekend!

Loctite

Jun 1, 2001
A big thanks to all for a great ride at the 2005 Trailfest! Good to see many of the past and also meet a few new riders this year. The trail was excellent and good training for Goshen ( except NO farm equipment or pig manure at Trailfest) Fred's 110 is a rush! Makes me feel like the day I got my first bike. Sorry to see the collor bone crash, let us know how you are doing? ( You will want to talk to Smit-dog about his stimulater!!! )

See ya at Goshen,
Craig

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
Well, I had a great time this weekend!! Okay, it wasn't as good as it could have been but I'll take what I can get! I woke up with a slight hang-over from the night before (thanks a lot Brad!!) and cured it with some of Kenny's special blueberry pancakes. We took off and were moving along at a good pace, then all of the sudden my chain comes off. I was kinda bummed because thsi would have been the 2nd Trailfest where something went wrong. So I stop and check the damage. The chain was all bunched up around the front sprocket, but thanks to my EE clutch slave gaurd, there was no damage done!!!! (Thanks EE) So my friend Too Tall Tim and I get everything untangled and find out why my chain came off. The rear wheel bearings had disintegrated!!! So Tim and I doubled up on his bike and headed back to the clubgrounds. It was a sight let me tall ya!!! When 2 guys that are over 6'4" climb onto a WR400F, it is a strange sight. So we get back to the CG and I jump in my truck to get my bike. I finally get it and load it up, point Tim to the trail and go back the the CG to collect my thoughts. That was pretty much the extent of my weekend...

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Brian - The guardian angel did the job perfect. Once I stopped close to a tree, but didn't hit it. Saturday afternoon the front wheel plowed loose sand and put me down on the right side for a minor spill. Sunday was faster riding and fall free. Unless you count the time I didn't get my leg over the seat far enough and INCA decided to lay down.
Trailfest is a time of good riding and it is also a reunion of fellow riders. The reunion I'm looking forward to now is when you will be back. That is going to be special.
We made it home safe and sound with more good times under the belt. No sooner got in the house and the phone is ringing. Heading back to Michigan Wednesday morning. To do more riding? Why would I ever do that.

Living life to the fullest,

Young Ted

RedGreen

Jul 20, 2005
At 8:30 Saturday morning, the Badger family, minus mom, arrived at TF, unkowingly about to participate in arguably the sweetest TF ever. We stepped out of the 65 degree cab of my dad's truck into the 25 degree tundra they call Jack Pine Lodge, for a serious wake-up call. After about a half-hour of everyone kicking bikes, we got started. My dad, not ready in time, decided to stay behind and get Hannah off with the Pide-Pipers (the Hunt brothers, who drew the short straws :) ). Other than the coldness for the first few miles, the injuries, the bike problems, and a few whoops, the ride was awesome :cool: .

Saturday evening brought even more adventures. After gorging ourselves on Fredburgers, baked beans and assorted desserts, the minis came out and the show started. Fred, of course, was the first kid out there, and didn't really have much competition, except for maybe the masked DRZ rider ?

Sunday led to an even more awesome ride. By the time we started at 10:00, Mom had finished her half-marathon (after I got home, I found out that she mopped the field with the competition, getting 7th place out of 38 in the old-ladie's class, finishing in 1:56:29 :cool: ). With a group of only about 20 riders, the ride was considerably less stressfull, as we didn't have any injuries, or bike problems, except for my radiator dent. Other than that, the rides were both awesome :aj:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Red, pass my congratulations on to your Mom! :cool:

Glad to hear your bars survived the riding this weekend. That's a first for quite awhile, isn't it? :nener:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
BRIAN - GREAT NEWS ON COMING HOME!!! Soon we ride!
It sure sounds like everyone has something to brag about from TF 05!! If it taint blown rads and bent bones its GREAT food and even FINER comaradity!! I was a good boy and layed low but it sure sounds like I missed a GREAT time!!!
Congrats to all who were able to attend!
Soo, howed all the injuries play out?? Mr. Stephenson - you ok buddy?? How about the collar bone guy - ok I hope?? Everyone else ok???
YZMAN, if our reading this, I got your message from Sunday but it was to late in the day..
INCA - I am going to try and make that ride Wednesday but this new "Patch System" has my sleep schedule even more screwed up then before.. Check behind the Wesco Station on 120 on your way up!!!
Great reporting everyone - makes me WISH I could have been there, and thats the way its suppose to be :aj:
Woodsy

SGJ_Johansen

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks for all the reports, sorry that some guys got hurt. Whats the deal with the broken collar bones. I have never seen so many. Must be with the bikes sitting taller and all, use to be foot and legs that got banged up. Glad that many of you had a great time. Waiting for the spring for a reunion ride.

Brian

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Trail fest was a blast! A big thanks to Fred & Mike for the big effort I'm sure it took to put on such an event :cool: The leaves were slick, deep and hid all the rollers! The trail selections were great. All I could say was I could ride this again! :aj: The new ORV trail could easily become a favorite. It was good to see all of you fellows again Mark, Ted, Jeremy, Badgerman, Bill, KTM Mike, Mike SR, Fred, Mike and everyone else that missed listing. Mike I hope your wrist feels better, "nice crash" but I seen better :yikes: I didn’t get the name of the fellow that broke his collar bone. I hope your pain free as much as can be expected. The dinner was a true banquet Fred your burgers are truly the best and the chicken put me over the top. I tasted a club secret that I never had before bacon and fried cabbage on a Fred burger I can still taste it! Till next year, Thanks again Pat

Z-8

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 25, 2005
I would like to thank Mike and Fred for putting together a great trail ride on a beatiful fall day!
Yea, we got lost(thanks to upnorth's wife for helping us get found).
Yea, we melted the piston in the little RM(need to keep a closer eye on the water level)
Brandon had a great time playing with Zach and his sisters.
Already looking foward to next year!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
The weekend was epic in all respects, and I didn't even ride. Everything converged and aligned to form what had to be the perfect TrailFest weekend.

The pictures tell only part of the story... It was great to see my kids and wife riding and really enjoying it. My wife is a fair-weather rider, and with the temps in the low 60's and sunny, leaves just past full bloom.... she loved it. Zach claimed he had his best ride "ever". A huge thanks to the Hunt brothers, Jeff and Jim, for their skill and patience in organizing the family ride. My wife thought she was going out for 1.5 hour trail ride, so I gave her a few Granola bars. Five hours later... she returned back to LMC! She asked if that was what an enduro was like... :)

Of course we strapped on a major feedbag, courtesy of Fred T burgers, gigundous chicken breasts, and a spread of side dishes and desserts you wouldn't believe.

SGJ_Johansen said:
...I hope to be home in 6-7weeks
That is awesome news! I had another CD for you loaded with pictures... but you'll just have to go riding with me instead! :debil: Derhntr Reunion Ride '06!

Top Bottom