Powder Coating/Anodizing or Rattle Can

gthoma23

Apr 24, 2008
I know this topic has been cover a lot, but I think my situation is a lil different.

I got an 03 CR250 with an aluminium frame. I want to powder coat the frame, subframe, swingarm, wheels, stator/clutch cover, and triple clamp flat black. Then put all black platic including guards. u guys think that's to much black? and i know it's gonna be hotter, but how much of a difference do u think it'll make?

I was wondering if any1 has done it to there's (pics would help so i can see if i like it). And how well did it hold up? I'm just worried i'm gonna spend all this money and it's gonna chip the first time i hit a rock.

Is PC the best option on an Aluminum frame, or is anodizing better? for strength and looks? Or will it look just as good to use some spray paint?

how well does it hold up on all the other parts if any1 has done it? and once again, what type of paint is the best?

Always heard that PC is the thickest, but idk how well it works with different metals.

Thanks guys!

IrishYZ

Jun 5, 2008
My friend sprayed his manifold with that black paint used on BBQs,worked out pretty well. Looks fairly flat..

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I've seen a couple Powder Coated Honda frames, they looked pretty sick!!

I doubt that a rattle can is going to give you results that you're be proud of, but it's your money.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I powdercoated the frame on my 95 YZ250 black and put all black plastic on it. It looked great!!....until I rode it. Black plastic shows scratches much more than other colors. The powdercoated frame held up almost as well as OEM enamel paint.

gthoma23

Apr 24, 2008
IndyMX said:
I've seen a couple Powder Coated Honda frames, they looked pretty sick!!

I doubt that a rattle can is going to give you results that you're be proud of, but it's your money.

i saw a forum that u did u painted ur YZ frame, with what? and how did it hold up ridin? like i said, a lot of $$ if it's just gonna flack off.

High Lord Gomer said:
I powdercoated the frame on my 95 YZ250 black and put all black plastic on it. It looked great!!....until I rode it. Black plastic shows scratches much more than other colors. The powdercoated frame held up almost as well as OEM enamel paint.

i've heard different things bout black platic. some say that it doesn't fade as bad as color, others say it's worse, what do u think? the scratches aren't a huge deal to me, cause i don't ride that much trails, and there's always paint. i'd paint my platic now, but if it scratches, u'll see red. and i didn't see any pics of ur YZ, u got any?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
gthoma23 said:
i saw a forum that u did u painted ur YZ frame, with what? and how did it hold up ridin? like i said, a lot of $$ if it's just gonna flack off.

i've heard different things bout black platic. some say that it doesn't fade as bad as color, others say it's worse, what do u think? the scratches aren't a huge deal to me, cause i don't ride that much trails, and there's always paint. i'd paint my platic now, but if it scratches, u'll see red. and i didn't see any pics of ur YZ, u got any?

The YZ is ok.. but it's doesn't look real good by any stretch. I should have bit the bullet and powder coated it.

What would look sick, black powder coated frame with white plastic. A buddy of mine has a CR250 with white plastics. It looks pretty good, plus the white hides scratches really well. But, he's got a stock aluminum frame.. Not painted.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
so you want something like this?

right.jpg

I think its a little heavy on the black side, but it does look good. I personally like the white plastics better.

And you should be fine, because most of the cooling is done with the liquid. But I'm not positive.

gthoma23

Apr 24, 2008
Moparman1539 said:
so you want something like this?

I think its a little heavy on the black side, but it does look good. I personally like the white plastics better.

And you should be fine, because most of the cooling is done with the liquid. But I'm not positive.

HAHAHAHA Moparman u crack me up. i wish u could come to my work and see my computer....cause that pic is what u'd see! that is the sickest bike i've ever seen, i was searchin google today and it came up. if u check out the site, it says what he did and how much it cost. here's the site,

http://www.servicehonda.com/afgallery.html

i wish mine could look like that, cause i never think u can have to much black....gotta ride stealth.

but i was thinkin that this setup would look really good with this for platic and graphics

http://www.servicehonda.com/afgallery.html
403643_bigthumb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

what do u guys think? oh, and has any1 had any sucess in painting there guards? like the fork, rotor, caliper guards? they cost a lot more than i thought they would.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If the plastic guards cost a lot more than you thought then powder coating is going to blow you away. Don't paint plastic.

BTW it doesn't matter if it's track or trail BLACK PLASTIC SCRATCHES. I've had 2 black bikes, still have one and they look more matte than shiney plastic within hours of the first ride. It's not the trees it's the dirt.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Now that is a DIRT bike! Admit it Gomer the award was really for the best legs at the track.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Actually, that was the dirtiest bike award at the Atlanta SpodeFest of '97. I did have to clean off a spot on the pipe so MXTuna could weld it for me while we were there.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
High Lord Gomer said:
Ask and you shall receive!

mud_1.jpg

It was so fine, I even won an award with it!

You say that is a '95 YZ250 ?????? That looks exactly like my '94 WR250........ about as clean as mine too :yikes:

Top Bottom