MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
The outer coating on the upper fork tubes of my 98 KX250 is starting to flake off. Is there any reason I cannot get these tubes powder coated? Will the baking process hurt these tubes in any way? Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly apprecitaed.

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
It would not work. No way to get the dimensions precise enough. Unfortunately, you only have one option that I know of and that is to have the tubes rechromed by a suspension shop. I believe only a couple of places in the US even offer this service--basically all the shops send their stuff to the same place, and it will not be cheap. I would look at a salvage yard--any 46 mm tube from a yamaha or kawasaki, etc. should work, I would think.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
UPPER toobs. the problem with powder coating them is that you will add 0.005-010" to the diameter, which will cause no end of trouble. your best bet is to take them to an anodizing shop. they can strip the old anodizing and put a new coating on for you, and you will have your choice of color. you could even get them hard anodized if you go for the charcoal grey color they will have afterwards. typically, these facilities have a $50 minimum.

KLeeneX300

Dec 4, 1999
Will - Do you know of a place in the Dallas area that can hard anodize? Have you ever had it done? If so, what do you think two upper toobs would run? Thanks.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
r and l plating. scott cooper is the owner. (214) 352-9737. i think you could get the tubes done for the $50 minimum, but the best way to find out is calculate the surface area and then ask scott. just in case you don't know, take the diameter times 3.1416, then multiply that times the length, and you will be close enough.

wp.

Top Bottom