BadCRC

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2003
Northwest Georgia
Hi everybody, I'm thinking about powder coating the frame on my YZ. Has any of you done this? Any tips/info I should know before getting it done? ie, I have no idea what price is reasonable, etc.

Also anybody know the color name or code that would match a 1998 YZ? :think:

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Pricing will vary extensively from shop to shop. I received estimates ranging as high as $450 for my last bike frame. I finally found a good shop locally (through my cycle dealer) that has done many motorcycles and was aware of the different requirements needed for $130. I have since had him do all of my powder coating needs for the last 3 years. Just make sure that you find someone that is familiar with doing bike frames, etc... It can be a real pain in the rear to have to re-tap the threaded holes, etc., that someone forgot to cover before the HPC coating goes on.

BadCRC

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2003
Northwest Georgia
Thanks for the reply!

Do they use codes or names for the colors? Did you find that it was a lot more durable to abuse with the coating, as apposed to paint? (You'll have to bear with me, I've never had any experience with powder coating before.) :confused:

Thanks!

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
As to color, I am not sure what codes they used. The times I have had HPC done, I used black, white, ceramic, and blue. For comparison, the shop had different items in the shop that I could look at. I havent tried to match the Yamaha blue. If \ when I HPC coat my current Yamaha, I will probably go with black and do the yellow, hurricane kit. As to durability, HPC is on a whole different level than paint. Much better.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The better places will sandblast your old paint off. I understand there is some money to be made by coating over the old paint. I paid 150.00 for a complete Suzuki DR 350 frame. The finished coat was show quality. Metallic silver with two coats of clear epoxy. You coudl hit it with a hammer and it would not chip.

The price was odd. The place that coated it happened to have the perfect metallic silver color I wanted. It was going to be dammed expensive to order in the exact color if I picked it out of the catalogue.

If you have to order special powder, make friends with another YZ owner looking to do the same thing..hint..... hint.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I had a Sportster frame sandblasted and p-coated for about $170 two years ago. One color coat and one clear. You'd have to be nuts to have one painted. The p-coat is nearly indestructable.

One thing to keep in mind is to have any other brackets, etc. done too.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Guys,

I recently had my wifes KX frame powder coated and plan to assemble it this week end.  Besides the ignition coil - where else do i need to remove coating for electrical ground??

Does the engine have to ground to the frame?

TIA

KrackerRacin

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 5, 2002
I Had my CR250 frame powder coated and it was sweet lookin. My buddies dad was able to do it at his work so it cost me nothing. Before it gets coated put all the bolts in the holes but just a few threds in. This way all you will have to do is take the bolds out and have fresh holes.

Top Bottom