Power characteristics of YZ250F vs. WR250F

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
How do the WR and YZ F's compare in power delivery? I've heard so much about how the WR likes to be wound out and doesn't have much low end, but I rode a YZF recently and was surprised at how good the low end was. There wasn't much actual power down there, but it was pretty willing to putt around and then pick up and go. I don't expect (or want!) an XR250, I just want it to run clean when putting (see "kids" below...).

One of these days I'm going to need a new bike and I'm just looking at my options: turn the KX125 into a KX144, get another XR250, CRF250X, 250 2-stroke w/ FWW, YZ/WR250F, etc., etc. Lots of good options. I just "ride"- 75% local easy MX track, the rest woods, trails, riding with kids, fireroads, etc. No actual racing, although on the MX track I'm moderately agressive. Reliability would be first (and I'm good at maint), suspension and handling 2nd, power 3d. I tend to adapt to the bike and use it for what it's good at, rather than vice versa.

Anyway- I'm curious about the power of the WR vs. the YZ F...consider the WR to be uncorked but forest legal.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The bikes are basically the same. Yamaha "corks" the WR down with a throttle-stop restriction, different ignition mapping and a pipe insert - all which can be removed.

Of course, where they differ is in the electric start. The price you pay is in extra weight.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
So, given that 75% of my riding is on the MX track and I venture to the woods maybe 2-3 times a year, you think I might be better off just getting the YZ and a larger tank? I really couldn't care less about the electric start. Our TT-R 125 has one and I usually kick it over.

jmics

Apr 19, 2006
I am going to throw a fly into the ointment here. If I am not mistaken the wr 250 exhaust camshaft timing is advanced compared to the YZ which really kills the power potential of that engine(I know this to be true of the 450).

the yz and the wr are extremely similar with the wr being based on the yz but detuned,wide ratio gearbox,and electric not only for starting but for lights also.
If the wide ratio gearbox and lighting is of any importance to you it is cheaper to get the wr and set the engine up to run like the yz than it would be to buy a yz and add lights and wide ration gear box.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I've ridden both a 2003 YZ 250F and WR 250F. As mentioned above, they are similar, but there are some big differences:

YZ - it's a MX bike, MX tranny, much lighter, smaller tank, etc.

WR - it's a woods bike, has wide-ratio tranny, electric start, timing one tooth different to mellow it out, woods exhaust, battery pack, headlight, tail light, bigger tank, coolant overflow, 18" rear tire, softer woods suspension, etc.

Basically, if you plan on riding woods, get a WR. If you plan on riding MX, get a YZ. If you're mainly riding MX, definitely get the YZ. I've raced a 1+ hour hare scramble and the 2 gallon YZ 250F tank was more than enough.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I'm riding mostly MX right now. It's just so much easier to take everyone that way- my daughter and wife (yes, they are 2 separate people.... :) ) swap off on the TTR125, the boys ride their 3 wheel pedal bikes around the kiddie track and everyone can keep track of everyone and ride at their own pace. It's a very small track and we're often the only people there, but when company shows up, I can battle the 250Fs on my 125, my daughter can battle the KX65/80's, and so on. In the woods, it's a survival game and I can't even begin to ride at my pace or I'll leave everyone WAY behind. I have to putt and wait, putt and wait- I might as well ride my mountain bike! The woods are only good when I have an equal riding buddy, which I don't have right now. So, I see us being more "track people" for the next several years until the boys grow up and start riding. Even at home, riding around on the ranch, I tend to make loops rather that just explore.

We'll see what happens! After reading here and ThumperTalk, a Yamaha is probably the only 4T I'd feel comfortable buying and I think a YZ will work better for me than a WR.

Last edited:

Top Bottom