Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
I know better than to listen to what the magazines say, so how would you 300 EXC riders describe the power?

Dealers always ask what type of power you are after and naturally your description matches the bike perfectly. I hate that. I would like a bike with a strong mid to top end pull, but with at least a little bit of low end.

I am also concerned with the gearing. Does the EXC pull the taller ratios okay? I could always drop a couple teeth on the rear sprocket, or go with an MXC. I just hate to get stuck between 1st and 2nd gear and 2nd and third gear.

Thanks for the tips.

Greg M

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The 300 exc has plenty of power. Three of my buddies ride them ('99 and '00 models), mainly in the woods. All did some fine tuning on the jetting.

As delivered from KTM, the powervalve opens pretty early and gives a strong midrange hit. The guys I know adjusted the powervalve spring so that the powervalve opens later. This results in plenty of strong low end and mid range for tight trails with a super top end when things open up. A side benefit of cleaning the jetting up and opening the PV later is better fuel mileage.

The motor is so strong down low that 2nd and some clutch will get you up just about anything. As far as gaps between ratios, it is strictly personal preference between EXC and MXC - the motor easily pulls the gaps, IMO.

Bullwinkle

Aug 25, 1999
Iv'e got the 2000 300EXC. I'm not into MX. But this bike will do just about anything you ask of it. I can up shift going up hill climbs and lug it out because I'm to tired to shift. It will also rev till your scared. Unless you are in some extreme tight areas I'm never in first. Some times I wish 2nd was a little taller or 3rd was a little lower but when you get to some open area just point it where you want to go and start shifting. This bike has an extreme top speed. I ride enduros as well as a desert race once a year. This is the bike for both. I'm also a little heavy. If you are a light rider you may need to get used to the power. It is very controlable for me. If I want to break traction it's right now. If I need a little control it is very easy to control. It just depends on what your looking for. For me I need some exitement in my riding. If you want to pull the wheel up or cruise it wiill respond. It won't pull you unless you ask it do. It is very easy to control but you will still feel like you are riding a serious race bike.
Jim

KToM300

May 11, 2000
I ride an 00 300 EXC and I would describe it as electric. It did take some time to get the jetting right. Too lean and it would have a mid-range hit and too rich it would spooge tons of oil and load up. I had a CR 500 before and this bike is the perfect compromise between a 250 and 500. Power from bottom to top and it absolutely screems on the top. I go to Pismo Dunes frequently and I have only been beaten in drag races up hill and flat ground by a 505 Alcohol EX and a heavily modified TRX250R. My friend w/ the 97 CR 500 shakes his head everytime I beat him on flat ground. The top speed on this thing has to be 90+ w/ stock gearing. In a nut shell, I love it...

Tom

Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
Thanks for the input. Thanks also for not pointing out my mistake of dropping two teeth on the rear sprocket instead of adding them.

Hopefully my 360 will sell soon and I can get one of them 300EXC's.

Greg M

Top Bottom