Power On Demand... fan in the airbox to boost powerband??

dirtyyzf

Dec 5, 2007
Redline Performance Products sells a fan that goes between the air filter and the carb. it claims to boost the airflow 200 cfm (cubic feet per minute) thus boosting the whole powerband. it comes with a stator and that is what powers the fan. my question is... has anybody heard of this before, seen any actual dyno's or reviews about, or maybe have it on there own bike? i have a yz450f will my intake cams be able to handle this much more air. the whole theory of the engine getting a boost of air makes sense to give it alot more power. id just like to know because 350 dollars is alot of money for a poor college student who is addicted to riding to shell out for a mediocre (i know i didnt spell that right...)product.

any info will help

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
2 strokes for life said:
I have done thos to my IT465 with a small computer fan and it worked. Could you give me the link so i could see what you are talking about?

How did you power it?? Give me more details.

Tdel

Mar 1, 2004
In essance you guys are creating or trying to create a forced induction system, IE superchaged. One of the things you need to consider is that the system will only work at lower RPM's, if it worked at higher RPM's you would need to do some seriose carb mods (pressurize the float bowl....). If you look at the design of RAM air systems on sport bikes they use high pressure at the front of the bike do simulate the forced induction system and also have to pressurize the float bowl to keep air being forced down into the float bowl. In my opinion this sounds like a gimmick to me.

dirtyyzf

Dec 5, 2007
the company claims the carb can handle the amount of air. it will just need to be rejetted. In the january 08' dirt rider magazine they had it in the new product section. i have a feeling its like the "tornado" that jc whitney sells for cars that is a complete joke...

Last edited:

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I would assume that it would be more responsive on the bottom end and would require some jetting attention. I doubt the carb flows any more than 300cfm at WOT.

Jan 3, 2007
Mully, i gust used a toogle switch on the handel bars and 4 double a batteries and put the fan it the air box. When you needed more power you gust flicked the switch. Worked great but it uses lots of batteries. This product looks kind of cool though. It could work. Well if they make it for my new bike then i will try it and update you with result, but i could be awhile.

For the moment a Boysen Quick shot 2 will improve the bottom end in a proven and cheaper way along with a JD jetting kit.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
there is a simple answer to your lack of throttle response and getting power over a more broad range try some U4 you will be amazed, all you need to do is richen up your circuits about 1 size across the board and go.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dirtyyzf said:
Redline Performance Products sells a fan that goes between the air filter and the carb. it claims to boost the airflow 200 cfm (cubic feet per minute) thus boosting the whole powerband.

I have a bridge that might interest you.

Rather than piss away your money on that B.S. psuedo-science POS, take some of the money you'll save and buy a book. You'll make far more power once you understand how airflow actually works.

Here's a good place to start : Fluid Mechanics With Engineering Applications

Robert L. Daugherty and Joseph B. Franzini,1965, McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-015427-9.

Last edited:

dirtyyzf

Dec 5, 2007
well thanks for the advice but im not much of a reader...... and i dont piss away my money im looking into the product right know. if i pissed away my money i wouldve just bought it...

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
If it worked, EVERYONE would have one!

It's just snake oil, just like the superchargers for R/C 2 strokes. Just a great way to relieve you of some of the excess weight in your wallet.

Rotor

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Dirtyyzf,
Often times we only learn based on our own experience. My guess is, the fan thing may end up being a disapointment. But maybe not as big a disapointment as someone puffing up their own status and self-esteem by treating others like bone-headed idiots. It's only money, live and learn. Tell us honestly, how it works for you.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dirtyyzf said:
well thanks for the advice but im not much of a reader......

Fair enough.

The point being, airflow doesn't work the way these scumbags trying to take your money want you to believe.
People have been selling this type of crap since the dawn of internal combustion time and they should be avoided at all costs.

That much money could get you a high compression piston, or an intake cam , both of which are tested proven mods that the big YZF will respond to like a champ.

caveat emptor ;)

dirtyyzf

Dec 5, 2007
well thanks i just saw it in dirt rider magazine and that sparked my curiosity... i had my doubts but also in my mind figured that might just work... thats why i joined up in here.i just bought the bike in the spring and allready have a wish list of products well over 6 paychecks...let alone the monthly payments for the next 4 years... i just wasnt sure if this should be considered sometime down the line...

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
MXA just reviewed it and said it was the biggest pile of crap they had ever tested.

it seems they and Rich agree on somethings!:)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
dirtyyzf said:
well thanks i just saw it in dirt rider magazine and that sparked my curiosity... i had my doubts but also in my mind figured that might just work... thats why i joined up in here.i just bought the bike in the spring and allready have a wish list of products well over 6 paychecks...let alone the monthly payments for the next 4 years... i just wasnt sure if this should be considered sometime down the line...

Don't confuse Dirt Rider magazine with this site.. They aren't the same entity.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
bclapham said:
it seems they and Rich agree on somethings!:)

It must be the exception that proves the rule Bruce. :laugh:

dirtyyzf

Dec 5, 2007
IndyMX said:
Don't confuse Dirt Rider magazine with this site.. They aren't the same entity.

oh i know there not the same entity but i figured someone on here might of seen it in the mag and known what i was talkin about

Top Bottom