Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
I just bought a 2000 CR125 and part of the agreement was it would have a new Power pipe because the old one was damaged. He agreed to put on a Doma or DEP or similar... When I went to pick up the bike the pipe that was on it looked a bit weird. It basically looked like 7 or 8 seperate cones welded together. So there was the head section then a series of different sized coned, then a piece where isjoined the silencer. The guy told me this is the way pipes should be made and most works pipes would be. Is this true or should I ask him to put on a standard looking one? Does anybody know of any pictures on the net of what Iam talking about 'cause I don't have a digital camera...

thanks,

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Well yeah handmade pipes are constructed from multiple cones & welded together rather than pressed out mass production style. A well made pipe will be a thing of beauty, cones smoothly joining together.

All this is irrelevant if the choices the pipe builder has made are right or wrong it is hard to tell from looks unless it is a total pigs ear of a job in which case it won’t have been made by a professional pipe builder. Did he tell you who made the pipe? Can you find any info about the manufacturer?

Ride it if it goes well who cares?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I would personaly keep that pipe. Never know, it may be one heck of a good pipe. Maybe down the road you can purchase a mass produced pipe and try it for comparison. Maybe have both pipes checked on a dyno if you have access to one. If you see that this custom pipe performs better than any other, find out who made it! :)

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
I have never riden the bike without the pipe on so I don't know whether it is good or bad, all I do know is that the bike completely whoops my 96 and friends 98 CRs...
The welds seem perfect and it looks good, I just wanted to know had the seller just gone and bought a £20 pipe because he was selling the bike anyway. Some guy saw it and reckoned it might be a HGS pipe, but who knows.
The dealer who sold the pipe to the seller gave him a few aimed at different power bands and he had his dad choose because he used to ride Grade A so has some idea....
The pipe is still 'raw' so is it going to rust and if so what do you recommend painting it with?

thanks,

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
HPC coat it.

The keen would remove it & polish it every meeting, but they’re nuts.

Most of us just buy some crap in a can & is disappointed when it doesn’t last.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
I spoke to the seller and it cost about $200 from him. He says they are made specially in the UK. One of the Pros in Ireland uses them so I'm happy...BUT...I flattened it yesterday in a really mucky MX. DAMN!!!

Top Bottom