PowerNow Carb. Insert CRF450R - 2nd write up

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
This is my second response after riding with the product for 2 months and finally getting the jetting tuned in.

My initial review on this product was not so positive, but after using it for 2 months I figure I give a more current update.

Noticeable gains is not apparent until the jetting is all figured out. It is also difficult at first to notice any gains on a sloppy loamy track. And yes, you need to fine tune the jetting. I had to increase the main 1 size and decrease the pilot 1 size which I thought was weird.

I did feel the bottom and mid get stronger- it's noticable once jetting is correct and on a track thats not so deep loamy so that you can notice it vs. stock conditions more easily.

My problem was hard starting. I had the fule screw at 1.5 out which gave great throttle response but very poor starting
if I stalled the bike on the track.
The instructions do say minimum 2 out. I put the air screw at 2.5 out and now the hard starting has gone away.

So whats the overall conclusion. I think a high compression piston would give more noticable and better results for the money, but there is a noticable improvement in bottom and mid after jetting is correct.

I would not recommend this product if your bike already has a lot of bottom and mid from a pipe or high compression piston. Too much bottom and mid will tire you out.

I would recommend this product if you put an overev pipe like Yoshimura - jointly its a great match.

Also, this product does not help with improving starting at all. thats all a lot of hype.

Spokes574

Old news.
-------------------------------------------
Here is what I have learned from several calls and inputs from other forums.
Everyone seems to agree on seeing a increase in easier starting.
Power gains seam to be mixed reviews from people. About half the folks told me they felt better bottom to mid but only slightly. I guess the best result is easier starting.

On 4 strokes the trend has been no jetting change needed, but yes on 2 strokes main jet 2 sizes up.

Boysean is working on one and see's ~1/4 - 1/5 hp
gains from low to mid on the dyno. Their design is different, I do not want to leak it out. They also said that the exit side of carb
with the device really does not help with performance based
on thier testing and dyno. They also said not carb jetting changes are needed with their device and did not see any jetting changes required with the competitors device either on 4 strokes. Their version will not be out for another 1-2months and I can't wait that long so I guess I have to order the available brand now.

I hope this helps others.

Thanks,
Spokes574

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
i too installed a powernow on my 450, i maybe saw alittle change in low to mid power but nothing to brag about. i got my best results from the boyesen quick shot accelerator pump cover. it really cleaned up the bottom end the bike doesnt seem to stumble off idle anymore.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom