PowerNow Carb Insert on CRF450R Y05

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I have installed the two inserts into the carb and have had several rides on it now.
Current Experiance:
Did not feel any major or suttle difference.
Had to adjust idle way up to get the bike to turn on initially.
Had to go up on main jet 1 size due to slight loss of top end.
I had a buddy of mine who has the same bike bone stock and asked him for his back to back thoughts. He said that the bottom/initial mid had very slight improvement compared to his stock crf450, but that could be due to my new piston.

So the question here is, is it worth the $180 investment for something that I can't tell and by buddy tells me it is very slight improvement? If I could do it again, I would pass and spend my $180 else where. If there is a 1/4 or 1/5 hp gain somewere, I could not notice it. I think a slightly higher
compression piston is a better bang for the buck- I will be
doing that soon.
============================================
Here is what I have learned from several calls and inputs from other forums.
Everyone seems to agree on seeing a increase in easier starting.
Power gains seam to be mixed reviews from people. About half the folks told me they felt better bottom to mid but only slightly. I guess the best result is easier starting.

On 4 strokes the trend has been no jetting change needed, but yes on 2 strokes main jet 2 sizes up.

Boysean is working on one and see's ~1/4 - 1/5 hp
gains from low to mid on the dyno. Their design is different, I do not want to leak it out. They also said that the exit side of carb
with the device really does not help with performance based
on thier testing and dyno. They also said no carb jetting changes are needed with their device and did not see any jetting changes required with the competitors device either on 4 strokes. Their version will not be out for another month

I hope this helps others.

Thanks,
Spokes574

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
thanks for the info. I've been skeptical of the device, and thought it quite over priced. 'course in my opinion nothing replaces displacement (or a little more compression ratio)

Top Bottom