powervalve cleaning

crryder1

Sep 11, 2006
can i clean the powervalves on a 1998 cr125 without disassembling the head? i would like to remove and clean them... or even just spray them off where they are...

the bike isnt getting rebuilt till this winter but there is still a month or 2 of riding left, so i am just trying to make it run better for the time being....

also.. does anyone have experience repair manuals for this bike? i found a few different ones and i am not sure which one would be the best, i would like the one that is the most model specific... i know the clymer goes from 1998-2002 and that seems like it spans alot of years, and i know there are different parts on an 02 than a 98.. any help would be greatly appreciated

Jun 7, 2006
I have a 95 kx and my clymer manual is from a 92-00 and it's real good about seperating each model when something comes up that is different and telling you about it. and very detailed.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Clymer manuals have been pretty much the best out there for a bazillion years. Get the Clymer.

crryder1

Sep 11, 2006
thaks guys... does anyone have any ideas on the powervalve cleaning process till i get the manual? we still gotta a lil riding time left until it gets cold and i want to make his bike run a lil better...

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
Just ride it until the end of the season. You won't even begin to get the power-valve clean unless you have the entire mechanism apart. The carbon from the exhaust bakes the black goo on the power-valve parts. Even when you have the mechanism apart, it takes several applications of oven-cleaner or parts cleaner to take that stuff off. Not to mention there will be a lot of black goo just laying loose inside the area that holds the power-valve.

I bought a used KX 250 a couple years back, and replaced the top-end soon after I bought it. The power-valve was completely covered in goo. It was soo bad I just took the parts and had them glass-beaded to get them clean. Then I sprayed oven-cleaner in the power-valve recess and let it sit over-night for three nights in a row until I got it clean.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Yes you can pul the pipe and the 2 powervalve covers and pull the valves out and clean them without pulling the cylinder .

jay2oo6

Sep 10, 2006
i use and carb cleaner n the cocked up powervalves jst pour off2 stroke its gd 2 if you do gt in too the head its designed too disolve and burn up.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
sa wat?

jay2oo6 said:
i use and carb cleaner n the cocked up powervalves jst pour off2 stroke its gd 2 if you do gt in too the head its designed too disolve and burn up.

Do you come with your own translator?

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
jay2oo6 said:
:coocoo:

jay2oo6

Sep 10, 2006
sorry was in a rush. i brought some choke an carb cleaner. its in a spray can kinda like wd-40 but so much better. it dissovles quite rapidly too so if some gets in too your head it will dissolve quickly. it makes all the crap pour off the valves and casings. just wipe around and its all done. better alsop the manuel i have is 1989-96 80 125 250 500 cr its bye haynes an is very good. the number for it is 2222. hope that helps :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…