Dec 8, 2007
My powervalve is intermittently sticking open.

I put a re plated cylinder on, and as soon as I gave it full throttle during break-in the powervalve stuck open. I disassembled the top end cleaned and checked the powervalve, everything seemed ok, so I ran the bike some more, same result, the powervalve would stick open when the rpm advanced using more than ½ throttle. I learned I could unstick it by going faster in higher gears then bring the rpm up by downshifting with the throttle off.

I took the pipe and powervalve cover off and actuated it by hand. It would stick about ¾ the way open about one out of six times I moved it through its operating range. I reached up into the exhaust port and found that by pressing the inside of the right powervalve piston side face I could get it to stick every time. If I pressed the outside it wouldn't stick. I determined that uneven exhaust gas pressure on the face of the powervalve during movement was side loading it in its bore, causing it to stick.

I disassembled the top end cleaned and closely inspected the powervalve sliders. I found that some of the material had been “pushed around” and that some sharp protrusions had formed on the piston side faces, I then performed a very light deburring procedure to remove them.

This drastically improved its operation, however, it will still sometimes stick during serious riding. If I just cruise, it doesn't stick.

These valves worked in the cylinder I took off, and they used to work just fine in the cylinder I had replated. Could the replating company have switched cylinders? Do powervalves need occasional replacement? Could the powervalve bores be worn out?

AV8R

Jan 20, 2006
I had a similar issue after getting a cylinder re-plated but discovered it on re-assembly. To solve it I had to take metal out with a round file (the area I was filing was rounded). You will probably need to take metal off in the area that it is catching.
The re-plate company does not have the powervalve assembly usually, so if they are not careful they can slightly change the dimension of the cavity that the powervalve slides in.
BTW where did you get it done?

Dec 8, 2007
That must be it. I can now look forward to a 4th disassembly. I got it re-plated at U.S chrome. I've read some good <a href="http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=165178" style="color: blue; ">stuff</a> about http://www.powersealusa.com/, and am considering them for my next re-plate.

Edit: Thought I'd update this. There is a small rod pressed into the powervalves which the linkage pulls on to move them. The left side rod came out so the valve was freely moving in the bore. I had to buy a new powervalve for $137.01

Last edited:

Top Bottom