Pre-mix oil and tranny oil

xr400xr50r

Oct 2, 2001
Hi all,
It's been a long time since I've been in here. Here's the q:
I bought my 5 yr. old a KX60 and he's picked it up marvelously. My questions are, what do you all use for pre-mix? Some say Red Line, some say BelRay, some say Klotz (sp?), some Yamalube, and the list goes on.
Also, I asked 2 different cycle dealers what to use in the tranny and got 2 different answers.
1. Use Kawasaki SAE 10W40
2. Use Fuch's Silkoken Light Gear Oil (SAE 75W80)
Here's the deal on the tranny oil. I drained the stuff out of the tranny the 2nd day we had it....It was Pinkish (and I think that it was probably the Fuch's Light Gear Oil as it too is pinkish). I replaced it with SAE 10W40 after talking to the 2nd dealer. What would you use?
We have about 2 hours on the 10W40
Thanks in advance for your replies......John

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
The pink stuff may be transmission oil. Ive heard of people useing it with no problems. I personally use suzuki 10-40 in the trans and change it every 3-4 hours of ride time. I use castrol tts for the pre mix, plugs last a long time, no fouling or other oil type problems. I prefer the synthetic for the extra price, I only use 15 pints a year or so, so the extra cost on a yearly basis is minimal. Most importantly with the oil, pick 1 kind and stay with it, diff brands are not compatible and may separate in the tank if mixed. Thus possibley causing problems.

xr400xr50r

Oct 2, 2001
Thanks for the reply Walt. I plan on sticking with 1 premix oil brand and a I too like the synthetic. Will let you all know more as the riding progresses.
Here's a little nugget (I think!)...the boy loves 2 strokes!

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Klotz is spelled correctly. It has one of the best smells out there. Also it does a good job of protecting your motor. You really cannot go wrong with any of the newer synthetics.
We use ATF in our bottom end with no problems. Just change it more often than regular oils. I have used ATF in my big bike too with no noticiable problems. Actually seems to make shifting a little easier.

xr400xr50r

Oct 2, 2001
Thanks Jasle (and everyone else),
Is that straight ATF fluid that you get at Auto Zone or Pep Boys??
Do you cut it with anything??
And it's o.k. to put in the smallest of 2 strokes bottom end??

Thanks again in advance for you replies

John

200Proof

Feb 27, 2001
Pretty much all the name brand 2-stroke oils will be fine. I use Motul 800 with no problems & have used Yamalube 2R with no problems. Silkolene is also very good oil.

In regards to tranny oil, most of the high reving 50's use straight ATF. I run Quaker State Dexron III ATF in my sons 50 as well as my YZ 250. No problems, but you do have to change it more often than gear oil. You can buy a gallon of ATF for $7 versus $14 for a quart of Bel-Ray gear oil.

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
I know i'm going to start an argument here but basically if you want to get some good info on gear oils then just click some words into a search engine on atf in clutches of motorcycles or "wet clutch ATF" and you will find some cool info on atf and car oils in a wet clutch of a motorcycle. Whatever you do, NEVER buy a CAR OIL (expensive or not) and put it into your clutch. These oils have friction modifiers in them that 10 years ago weren't in them. They are basically too slippery. As long as it's a MOTORCYCLE oil then it will work good in your clutch. The key is , you MUST change the oil properly! We have over 200 actual riding hours on our rm85 and have the origional clutch in it. We use Amsoil motorcycle oil but to be honest Iany MOTORCYCLE oil that is changed often will keep the bikes clutch running good. We tried ATF and the clutch slipped too much, so we took it out immediatley, but I think weather its ATF or MOTORCYCLE (yes theres a theme here) oil frequent changing makes the clutch happy.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
When it comes to oils and lubes, you're gonna' get 1000 different answers which raise 2000 new questions.

I'd recommend that you follow the guidelines set forth in the bike's Owner's Manual. This would at least be a safe starting point.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001

John,
I buy the $4 gallon at Wal-mart. MXfast guy hit it on the head. Change it often. We run ATF in our 16,000RPM 50cc Cobra, PW50, CR250 and RM250. I tried mixing 1/2Maxima 85wt but thats just cause I got some for free and i wanted to use it. I didn't really notice any difference when I changed it.\
Jasle

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…