Pre-Race Report

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
After a nine year absence from racing, I'm going to try my hand in the over 30 class next weekend at Ascot in Fort Smith AR. I'm so pumped about racing again, but apprehensive at the same time. A nasty crash at a race in 91 caused me to stop racing. Work, family, and being scared to race again all had a factor in why I never competed again. No more! I have finally faced the fact that I can not ride 4 - 5 times a week like I used to when I was younger. The pressures of keeping ahead at work, and traveling due to work don't allow me to ride as much as I would like. But, I have rode twice a week for the last three weeks, feeling better ever time out. I made a commitment to race at least once this year, and the time is now!

MX547 is going to be there, and has been a big factor in me realizing that I'm not to old to go out and race again. My plan is to have fun, and not get hurt or come in last place.

Thanks MX547 for prodding me until I came around. ;) This is going to be a long week!

So... wish me luck. Ride report to follow in minus 7 days! :)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Good luck!:)

woodsguy2000

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2001
Funny thing, I just did the same thing. I raced my first h/s in 20+ years last w/e. Finished 5th out of 20 tn over 40C. Not made since I'm 4 months from 50. So you CAN do it and have fun also. Understand the long week coming, the closer Sunday got the harder it was to sleep. But the race and preperation were worth it. Good Luck and have fun. Rob

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
It is still as fun as it was back then. I can't believe you old timers still get jitters! I slept like a rock before my first race (in twenty years) :) I just think of it as 'going riding' and enjoy it.

You will find that veteran and senior riders dig deep when it is time to pass - they cruise until it is time to get busy and then go-go-go. Most all older riders are very clean, so if you just watch for converging lines, you can avoid crashes. The races string out and it is then just like riding (with others as fast as you)

Starts (MX) are much different than twenty years ago. They go by fast - the one minute board is not usually held up that long. Starting in waves is kind of different also. Be sure you are in the corect wave. You are sometimes put in a race with younger riders - roost them unmercifully and they will go away - they do not share the "I must go to work tomorrow" mentality.

If you are not comfortable with certain jumps, get to one side (so you don't get jumped on) and just roll them. There are some STUPID jump builders out there and they will ruin our sport in the eyes of insurance companies. Still, there is no cooler feeling than jumping 'good' jumps.

You will see some of the same people you raced against twenty years ago and there are no finer people around. Going to the races is like seeing family every week. Be sure to stretch beforehand and have a great race!

woodsguy2000

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2001
smilinicon, my not sleeping was more from I can't wait to get there[was a hour before sunup when I got there] than jitters. Although did have some jitters. But you are right it is great.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Thanks guys for the votes of confidences. Only 6 more days and counting! Smilinicon, I always sleep well before a race. I'm just anxious to get through this week. I'm sure I will be at the track before the gate opens. :) In fact, usually I was so relaxed waiting in the staging area to line up at the gate I would doze of. Damn near fell of my bike once! That sure would have been hard to explain to your buddies how you bend your bars! :eek: I can put in 3 to 4 good laps before I start to die, then its going to be full on roadhog mode too hold my position. LOL! :D

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Sawblade
I can put in 3 to 4 good laps before I start to die, then its going to be full on roadhog mode too hold my position. LOL! :D

that's always my strategy.:scream:

actually the track is in oklahoma. you arkansawyers are always claiming squatter's rights.:D

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Originally posted by mx547

actually the track is in oklahoma. you arkansawyers are always claiming squatter's rights.:D

Grasshopper, you forget. I live in Arkansas, I never, ever claimed to be from Arkansas! Justql isn't the only Jayhawk you know! Besides its only just across the state line!

dheard4992

Feb 25, 2001
starting up again

i quit racing in 85 and although i was never the fastest guy i really enjoyed it and after recently starting up again i realized its just as much fun at 39 as it was in my teens and twenties.now if that new crf would just come in mabey i could move up a few more places.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Almost Ready!

Will in less then 24 hours my racing debut after a 9 year hiatus will be underway or close to being done. All I have left to do is oil and install the air filter, and put the seat on. Guess I'm getting more nervous as tomorrow gets closer. Hopfully I will meet my three goals. 1 - Have fun. 2 - Not get hurt. 3 - Not come in last place. My wife, son are coming along for support, as will as some other non-riding friends.

Race Report to follow. Its time to take care of that air filter. Why do you always wait until everything else is done to oil the air filter? ;)

Braaap...

woodsguy2000

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2001
Good luck. Don't overoil the filter! I'm sure you will accomplice your goals. Have a great day. Rob

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
looks like bswift is going too.:) now, i've got to start working on that woods rider, justql.;)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by mx547
looks like bswift is going too.:) now, i've got to start working on that woods rider, justql.;)

I will race an MX. GARAUNTEED.:eek:
I've just gotta get through the BJEC races. Expenses have been eating my lunch lately.:think

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sawblade: Mission accomplished.

1 - Have fun.
2 - Not get hurt.
3 - Not come in last place.
Sawblade came in next to last with me running sweep. I was in full woods gear including the fanny pack and 3.2 gal. tank.:cool:

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
OK mx547, Give us a complete race report.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Since Bswift beat me to starting a post about our race last night. Check out "My First MX Race" for all the details, lies, and innuendos! :eek:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
No Cedar trees even remotely close to the track. Just alot of mud and rutted turns!

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I know why you beat Bswift......you were afraid if he got anywhere close to you he'd run into you. Good motivation.:D

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
No Cedar trees even remotely close to the track.

If there had been a ceder tree near the track, I would have signed up with the pro class.:p This was a lot of fun. I need to train differently for MX though. Now if they just had a creek crossing and....

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
The only thing you can doo in a creek crossing is get stuck or pass a Gas Gas.:think That made sense when I thought of it.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
pass a Gas Gas.

I do that on a daily basis.:D

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Boy did I set you up perfectly for that or what. Back to the topic at hand, Are you going to do another MX?

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
re:Are you going to do another MX?

I'm sure I will as soon as I get some new loafers. Should I go to Payless Shoes or Wal Mart, maybe Sawblade or TX246 can get me a good deal.:p

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…