trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Hello ladies...

We are having a baby! :eek: Yippie!

My wife is 12 weeks along and has not been riding for a few months. She wants to go riding again, but I am scared to death of something happening. Am I being "TOO" cautious?
She rode horses up to her 9th month with the first baby, but horses are not as prone to 'crashing' as her bike is.

Im just curious...What do you ladies think?

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
I have a girlfriend who rode pretty much up to the day she was due and the baby was just fine. As for me, it's just not worth the risk. Just my $0.02

P.S. Of course it is easier for me to sit back and judge since I decided to not have children since I knew I would have been too much of a worry wart.

Congrats on the new addition to the family and good luck!

dirtbabe

Dec 6, 2000
Congrats first :yeehaw: ! OH MAN!!! When I got pregnant for our little "Hurricane" Hannah 3yrs. ago (she'll be 3 in Aug.), my husband (Dennis Meyers) had to take my bike completely apart to keep me from riding :whiner: . You just don't really think about things very closely when you want to ride so bad you can tast it. She could get just as hurt riding a horse so,the only thing I can say is think about it extremly hard and be safe! Your balance has a tendancy to be a little off when pregnant. It bothered me not to be able to ride for a long time but it'll get a little easier. :thumb:
This from a Doula in training

dirtbabe

Dec 6, 2000
bbbom, a Doula is a non-medical labor assistant whose role is to comfort the mother and father during birth,act as a liaison between the hospital staff and the birthing family, and also to provide one-to-one care that the hospital staff, midwife or doctor may not be able to provide. :)

Moto'n Mama

~SPONSOR~
Nov 14, 2003
Thats a tough call. I couldnt resist not riding when I was pregnant so I toodled around the track untill about 3 months then trails till about 5 months. I just took it easy - I knew my limits and stayed well inside them - its great to be able to just putt around and have a good excuse for it. I know taking it easy doesnt prevent everything that could happen but we take risks in everyday life. I have a girlfreind who snomobiled till she was about 5 along too. I'll do the same if I ever get pregnant again.

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
As I type this, I am sitting here holding my week old baby girl. I rode and raced hare scrambles until I was 5 months along. At that point, my body told me it was time to stop. After riding about 2-3 hours that last morning, my stomach started feeling funny and too restricted in the MX pants. I called it quits. My doctor had also advised me that I would know when it was time. I certainly had the DESIRE to keep riding, however, my common sense took over and I became the camp photographer once again. I had neither the stamina, nor the mind set to continue. Just to be sure, Bob drained the gas and oil from my bike so that I couldn't ride even if I wanted to!! Everyone is different, but I didn't want to take a chance at that point. Good luck and let us know what she decides.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
I've often thought about what I would do about riding when the time came to have a child. I mean keeping off of the bike for nine months, that would be almost impossible for me to do! I'm glad to hear that there are other woman that continued to ride during pregnacy. I figured I would do the same thing when that time comes. At least I don't feel so crazy for thinking like that!

DirtBiknDame

Jul 1, 2002
I remember hearing about a girl who raced District 37 up until she was 6 months prego. She had to have special pants and kidney belt made (can't remember her name). Anyways, I guess it's dooable but I certainly don't suggest doing it. From a medical stand point, you can have placenta abruptio which is a tearing away of the placenta from the uterus. You can still have a normal pregnancy with this condition but it is a bed ridden pregnancy with bleeding (not a good thing). You can ride anytime in your life.... you can only have a pregnancy for nine months. Take it with caution, patience and love and I promise you won't regret it. Congratulatons!!

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
I am currently expecting my 2nd (I am only 8 1/2 weeks). I decided with both pregnancies that I would stay off the bikes during my pregnancies. I am a total worry wart and would never forgive myself if something happened to me or the baby while I was riding. If she is comfortable taking that risk then go ahead, otherwise I would take this time to invest in herself. Try long walks, swimming, low impact aerobics to stay in shape. The other thing I thought about is if I were to get hurt and need to be sedated or need some strong pain meds I would ethically have problems with taking something. This is where I am with this decision. I may be more on the conservative that other riders but I also want to know that I did everything right so in case something happened during the pregnance I can't blame myself or riding.

Karna

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I think that I, if I should decide to have a baby, would go Moto'n'Mama's route. I might stay off the track entirely, just because I am so abysmally bad at it, but I would probably stick to some easier trails. However it doesn't sound healthy to have a special kidney belt made, you wouldn't want your kid to be born with a flat forehead! LOL sorry guess that's not all that appropriate.

Anyway, since I'm NOT having a kid, my opinion isn't all that worthwhile. But I don't know if I could give it up for a full year. I mean once the baby is born, you're not going to *feel* like it for a little while, and then you have a little baby to feed, clothe, change, bathe, etc--where's the time for riding?

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
The time for riding is after your all healed up - assuming your pretty healthy to begin with and have an uncomplicated birth it shouldn't be more than a couple months!!! :yeehaw:

By the time the baby is 4 or 5, it's time to help him or her learn to ride. After a couple years of teaching them, it's time to really enjoy just riding with them and finally by the time the little poops are 10 or 11, it's time to start thinking of ways to sabotage their bikes so they'll stop leaving you in the dust.

By the time they are old enough to have their own kids, it's time to remind them that you were the one that picked them up from the dirt, started their little bikes and helped get them going and that now it's time for them to do the same for you!!! :yeehaw:

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Surprises of all surprises, I'm in the same boat. I'm only 6 weeks along, but already signed up for a 2 person team race on March 13th. I really, really want to do this but not sure if it would be smart.

I've done several GP's and never *knock on wood* actually crashed during one. It's more of an aerobic work out than trail riding, and since I don't fall much I'm not lifting my bike.

It's interesting to read the different opinions.

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
COngratulations Leann! Maybe we can bring the little ones to Oregon in a couple of years for the riding school...if they have another one.

Oh, btw, you won't be taking off a whole year of riding. Typically you don't find out until you are five or six weeks along. If you stop riding at that time then you will only have to take aout 8 months total. I was riding only 3 weeks after I had Philip and I plan on doing the same. Plus with Philip I was almost a month early. If I am early with this one then I will only be off the bike for 7 months. Believe me 7 months is a lot better than 1 year. I have to admit that supportive grandparents are the only way to be able to get back in the saddle as soon as possible. And did I mention that my dad rides Trials and can't wait for me to get back on the Trial's bike. That is good incentive for me to not feel guilty leaving 2 little ones home with grandma.

Good Luck!

Karna

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I'd just like to say congratulations to all you moms & moms-to-be :) Now I know what you've been doing as you've had your winter & unable to ride your bikes ;) hehe
All I can say is thank god for year-round riding :)

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Thanks for all the input ladies!
We rode this weekend at TNT, she took it pretty easy and stayed on slow trails.

Something cool though...she wants a travel trailer so we can keep going out for the weekend after baby gets here! I'm down with that. What a cool chick I have! :thumb:

Top Bottom