premixing w/ oil pump intact?

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
on my brothers bike (some old skool bike), it has oil injection, but we want to remove it. Right now its a pain so I was thinking what we could do is run the bike until the oil gets pretty low, and then just start premixing the fuel.

would leaving the oil pump onto the motor do any harm?as long as the motor is getting oil it should be alright.?? :coocoo:

89dragger

Mar 27, 2007
i have a 74 suzuki 250 and the oil pump oil the bearings also. i just made a thread about this and i would have to block the injector but still use the oil pump to oil the bearings. i would have to keep the tank full of oil and run premix. make sure your oil pump only oils the mixture or you would have to do the same.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Letting the oil pump run dry will likely result in oil pump damage.

I suggest running the oil pump output tube back into the tank and leaving some oil in the tank. Then you can premix Mobil 1 racing 2t at 32 to 1 (IMHO the very best oil and ratio you can choose).

Chris

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You will have to rejet the carb too since there will be oil in the fuel which will lean out the air/fuel mixture.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Remove the oil pump from the engine. Remove the drive gear from the oil pump. Reinstall pump and plug any oil lines, as necessary. Premix gas and enjoy. Rejet as necessary.

Jim Havins

Oct 30, 2001
Not using the oil injection depends on the bike. Running premix on the Yamahas is fine but not on all Suzukis. The 400 Suzukis (1975 engine type and earlier) had a shield on the main bearing. If you run premix without splitting the cases and removing it, you WILL seize the bottom end.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
the inside cases under the base of the cylinder should have a oil drain hole for fuel to oil those old suzks- i know what your talking about- jim h- good suggestion though
double check the lines ,and gear- so it doesn't get a air leak - take your time
and think it through

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I didn't know that; thanks for the info.

Any other bikes have a similar "feature" on them?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…