Prentice Cooper Ride by Chattanooga TN

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I was chatting with lemmy about this in another thread and figuered I might ask if anyone was interested.

it is 1.5hrs from me and the same for lemmy...

julien_d they have camping areas I think they may be free too

Prentice Cooper State Park is west of Chattanooga Tn.

I've been there twice and enjoyed myself it is free and there is a main fire road (wide dirt road) I believe is about 12 miles long with trails branching off and eventually come back in but some just go nowhere and you must turn back the way you came I have only scratched the surface to the many trails it has. there are river crossings too, about 20 cross 2-4ft deep, I was kinda freaked (I had never done it before) but that is really fun and I won't bother lifting my feet anymore ...does no good

this is getting kinda long so..... :cool:
here is a link to the directory of gaoffroad with info

http://www.georgiaoffroad.com/facility.php?facilityid=108

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Sounds like fun. I'll check out the website this evening. You have a time frame when you plan on rolling out there? I think catanooga is about 3 hours from here give or take.

I think me and a bunch of guys are hitting brown mtn in the morning. I can't wait! Been a few weeks since I've been able to get out....

J.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
3hrs ain't bad

most likely on a saturday though I may go up friday for some camping

I was thinking mid july cause everyone has there "4th of july rituals"

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Indeed. We have a spot we've been going to every year to watch the fireworks and grill some burgers. Can't miss that without getting in the dog house big time. I'll try to keep it in mind and see if me and a buddy or two could make the journey.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
mid july may be pushing it on sunday I screwed my back up going up a steep hill with the wifes xt225 when it lost traction and slid out to one side (stupid cheng shin enduro tires)

....why was I on the xt225 well we where renegade riding (on the street between various abandoned subdivisions) this spot we call dust mountain

james.keaton

May 8, 2009
sr5 hate to hear that. Did it mess you up bad?

I would like to try this place out though considering that I live in Knoxville it shouldn't be to bad of a drive.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yep bad enough for me to be thinking of selling my dirt bikes and giving up all together...

I'm back to work as of yesterday but if I sit down for a minute its hard to stand back upright and every couple steps I pinch the nerve and it buckles my knees thus I keep a crutch on me so I don't hit the ground :|

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Dude, so sorry to hear that. I fell off a roof a few years back and screwed up my sciatic nerve. Bothers me sometimes quite a bit, other times not so much. Usually I'm hurt for a couple days after riding even if I don't bail...

Hope you get better soon man!

J.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
You only grab a hot coal out of the fire once!!!

I've been hurt before on a motorcycle but never had to pay for it in endless, can't sit, can't stand, can't lay down pain.

This may be that "hot coal" as we wiegh the pain versus pleasure factor.

I'm considering the idea of just working on bikes one at a time either to fix up and sell or for 25 bucks an hour for other people. I've been told by a few people " you like wrenching on the bike more than you like riding"..... maybe thier right!!

Mark Clay

Feb 21, 2003
If you guys decide to go I might consider going. I would like to get out of the Florida sand for a day or so and out of the heat.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Mark the only thing that is not going to be hot is when we hit the river crossings other than that we are near 100 everday for a week now + humidity..

One thing you may consider for your long ride from Jacksonville is meeting up in durhamtown plantation with us Durhamtown is the Wally World of dirt biking IMO!!!!

I will probably go to durhamtown the last weekend in july (25th and 26th) for camping and riding
Prentice cooper is fun though

Mark Clay

Feb 21, 2003
I will consider going to Durham Town. I have been their 5 or 6 times usually in the spring its very nice lots of good single track. I went up last year about this time and it was smoke in hot and no breeze. I was looking to go riding somewhere new. Maybe in the fall? Post a reply if you go to Durham Town and maybe I can make it?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah I went on june 1st last year and it was 101 degrees and the red dust sticks to your sweat everyone looks like a raccoon when the googles come off!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…