KTA

Jul 14, 2000
its sad but true... ill be leaving for college in less than a week and i can't take my bike with me :( ... so.. i need to get it all ready to sit in the garage for 9 months... i drained the tank... gave the bike a good washing.. used WD40 everywhere i could think of.. is there anything else i should do.... normally i don't have to prepare for the winter too much cause the only time i don't ride is when its too snowy.. .but any tips/advise would be appriciated..

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
You don’t mention if it is a 2 or 4 stroke. Never had to do this but have read a couple of articles years back.

Obviously drain the float bowl of the carb. You may wish to drain the oil fill the tranny right up with cheap oil & presumably leave a note tied to the handlebars to remind you to drain it & replace with decent oil. The basic guts is used oil may be contaminated. Sounds extreme but where are you leaving it?

Lift the bike off the ground so the tires don’t get flat & rest on the tire in one spot.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Lube the cables to assure there's no moisture to aid in corrosion of the cable. Apply a light film of grease to the chain to prevent rusting. I would put a light fogging oil in the cylinder, or just use some marvel mystery oil. Put the bike on a stand to take the strain off of the suspension/tires. If it's liquid cooled check your anti-freeze if it'll be left in an unheated space, or better yet just drain it and remember to refill it before you start it in the spring. Good Luck :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL, smb...
I thought I was the only one who used Marvel Mystery Oil!
:)

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Mystery oil is great. The can looks cool enough that it's worth it just to have sitting around the shop. My grandpa (from what my dad says) used to pour a helping of Marvel down the carb of his cars to work over the valves and seats. Subsequently, he subcontracted as a flying insect terminator. :eek:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
last winter I ran a lil MMO in my pickup for cylinder lube on cold startups. I know it probably wasn't necessary but it gave peace of mind. It was only about 4 oz. per 10 gallon and considering a 32 oz. bottle costs $2 I think it's worth it.

Top Bottom