Prepping an MX bike for off-road racing

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
My son has been racing a tricked out TR-125 in the D-36 youth harescrambles and pretty much maxed out the bikes performance. The only bikes finishing ahead of him are KX100s. Hence, new bike time!

We purchased a 2002 KX 100 and have made the following mods:
1) SST pipe
2) Turbine core spark arrestor
3) Works Connection glide plate (couldn't find a full skid plate anywhere)
4) Works connection frame guards
5) Works Connection radiator brace
6) Acerbis rally pro hand guards
7) O-ring chain
8) IMS 2.4 gas tank

The only areas we haven't addressed are:
1) Suspension - it seems pretty plush now and we will wait to see how it breaks in
2) Fly wheel weight - we have a Stealy 8oz on order but are waiting to see how it performs without it
3) Reeds - being a thumper pilot I have limited expereince with these. Torque reeds, V-force, Rad Valve.... there seems to be a lot of options. Any thoughts on these?

I'll report back on his racing, but man that little KX100 looks awfully nice and really flys right now!

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Careful suspension set-up, along w/ a steering stabilizer will do wonders for any bike. Personally, $$ for $$ those items are the best money spent on any machine for off-roading. My .02 worth.:)

125rider

Nov 8, 2000
Definitely suspension, and you might want to consider a steering stabilizer. With reeds you might look into getting a delta II reed valve, it makes the bikes have a little more low end and it was worth it on my 125.

mr.remote

~SPONSOR~
Aug 18, 2001
The v-force reeds aren't out yet. I used the boyesen dual stage reeds on mine and I'm happy with them, but I have never tried anything else. Please keep us informed.

Top Bottom