Press Conference Quotes From Las Vegas

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
AURORA, Ill. (May 5, 2006) – Amp’d Mobile World Supercross GP/Amp’d Mobile AMA Supercross Series quotes from the pre-race press conference at Las Vegas’ Sam Boyd Stadium.

Ricky Carmichael:

“I’m here to race. I’m leaving nothing on the table. I am super pumped to be out there; I can’t wait for 9:45pm tomorrow night. I am excited and there is no reason for me to be nervous.”

“Hopefully James and I can put on a good show for everyone like we did earlier in the season.”

“I am confident in my program and training that I have what it takes to win and that’s all that matters.”

“I think we have a great opportunity TV-wise for the sport, and I feel new doors will open because of it.”

“I feel really good. I am here to race this weekend. I am going to get out there and ride the wheels off the bike. I’m not nervous. I am anxious to get out there and do my best.”

“If I can get on top of the box everything will be worth it.”

“It’s definitely exciting. I have been involved with so many races and been fortunate that it’s hard to pick the most important race, but this Vegas race is just different. It’s just a different situation.”

“I would like to be able to say that whoever wins, wins the title. I have done a lot to prepare and I’m going to put it to work this weekend.”

“You have to put things in the past behind you and move on. Whatever happens Saturday happens. I know I put in the work and hopefully it will pay off this weekend. “

“Suzuki and I have come to a multi-year deal and this will be my last full season and I will participate in a selective season next year.”

“Suzuki has always stuck behind me.”

“I am super excited for my future and this has no effect on how I will ride the rest of the year.”

“My sponsors knew my plans, I told them what I was thinking and they backed me 100%.”

“When I do race next year, I am going to come to win.”

“I don’t want to get greedy. I’m being realistic because there is going to come a point in time when I’m not going to win anymore. I feel now is the time to take a step back, but I will be 110 percent ready for every race I race in.”

“I love Supercross. This sport has given me an amazing lifestyle, and this sport is number one to me.”

“I will be involved in the sport for a long time. One more thing on Saturday will make it that much better its just time for me to do something else I am here to support the sport for as long as I can.”

“I treat everyone with respect; there is a lot more to racing then just racing. So, I don’t think I have any enemies when it comes to lappers.”

Chad Reed:

“When you think of Vegas, you want to have a shot at winning. For me, I am really excited to be in this position and have a shot at the title.”

“I started off in the beginning of the season at Anaheim not too bad, but after that I never was on my game and that is just how it is. But I’m happy to be in this position to win a title this weekend.”

“The last two years have been really tough and it has been showing at the races. I have grown since last year. I think I’m going through some changes and its starting to come around for me.”

“As a kid I was always told to go for it and to not give up. That’s what I will take away from this year’s race.”

“To a certain degree I have been on the lower end of the stick. This weekend is important and because of that we all are going to do what we have to do.”

“In 2003, I came into Vegas nine points behind Ricky and left with only seven. I had a possibility of winning the title then. In 2004, I had the fuel loss points and could have been a champ then if things had changed. The racing has never been this close and I am excited about it.”

“I think the two of us want to win it really bad, and we know what we need to do to win. For me being dirty doesn’t cross my mind. To win fair and square is a definitely more rewarding but we will see what happens.”

“All of riders can say a lot of ‘ifs and buts.’ I think it’s been a weird season for all of us. You just have to go out there and make the best of it.”

“At the end of the day is when you add up your chips, but it doesn’t matter because we all just want to win the title. It’s the one that lasts the longest; money is what comes if you get the job done.”

James Stewart:

“This weekend, I hope I can go out there and have fun and do what I have done all year.”

“I definitely want to win the World GP Series it will mean a lot to me.”

“If it’s the last lap and I have an opportunity I will make the move.”

“I’m not a dirty rider, but with a championship on the line; if the opportunity is given, I will make the move.”

“I think its going to be good. I have raced Ricky for two years, and it’s going to be fun to race him in the finals for the last time.”

“The track looks good and technical. Vegas has brought me ups and downs and hopefully I will be more focused this year.”

“To be in the position where I am at I am really happy. Going into this weekend’s race I am strong mentally and physically.”

“It means a lot to have this weekend’s race broadcast live on television. The sport continues to get bigger and bigger every year and I am happy to be a part of it.”

“Ricky and Chad are both a threat for me. I just have to worry about myself not them.”

“I have to help myself before I can ask for anybody else’s help.”

“Ricky is a great competitor. For me, it has been an honor this whole season to race against him. I am going to tell him great job and shake his hand.”

“If I get the title it would mean a lot after all the hard work I put in to prepare for this season.”

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The press release fails to quote all three when they were asked if due to what's on the line, they'd ride a little more "aggressive with eah other" ... all three said they will do what they have to (in so many words). RC said something to the effect that "One of us can ride dirty" ... wonder who he was talking about?

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Okiewan said:
“I’m not a dirty rider, but with a championship on the line; if the opportunity is given, I will make the move.”

Interesting quote from James - so dirty is ok if the championship is on the line?

I know - he probably didn't really mean that. Or maybe he did.

Maybe they all do. It will be exciting.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I think that JBS or Reed parking RC for the win would be a bad deal. It would really change the way the public looks at them. On the other hand, this is RC's last title chance. The public reaction to him putting down JBS or Reed would probably much more posative than if it happend to him. Reed already sounds beat. JBS sounds a little intimidated by RC. RC is confidence.com. If anyone's going to beat him, it's going to take a lot.

My predictions:
RC wins
JBS can't handle the pressure and makes a mistake, either leading or fighting with RC
Reed is not a factor

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
What's dirty? A takeout? Intentional contact? We see it all the time in the amatuer ranks. Nobody does a damn thing about it. Even if it's right there in their own rulebooks. Arenacross is a total contact sport. If you can't slam and jam with the leaders you're toast!
For the sake of conversation, what constitutes "dirty" in the realm of professional Supercross?

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
motodawg said:
...For the sake of conversation, what constitutes "dirty" in the realm of professional Supercross?

T-Boning a rider constitutes dirty.

A block pass is not dirty unless you intentionally come into contact with their bike in the process to put them on the ground or over the berm.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Well, the more I think about it, RC racing conservatively gets him the title. But, he sure would love to go out with a win at Vegas, but not at the expence of the title.

But you know what I'd really LOVE to see happen. JBS, RC, and Reed all three go down in the first corner. Reed gets up first, RC second, and JBS dead last. Watch the three of them fight through the pack.

Red Mamba

Feb 5, 2006
After today's interview , it seems like there is some unfinished business between Ricky and Chad, i smell some bad blood and no better place to settle it than tomorrow night in vegas, so it could get real dirty between the two.

Mxrider26x

Apr 29, 2006
Red Mamba said:
After today's interview , it seems like there is some unfinished business between Ricky and Chad, i smell some bad blood and no better place to settle it than tomorrow night in vegas, so it could get real dirty between the two.

yeah u noticed that too i thot it that exact same thing especially with ricky and i know he was pointing at chad wen he made that dirty racing comment. those too hate eachother and i think at this point they arnt trying to sugar coat it.

also i dont know if anyone agress but i thot it was so funny when that guy asked chad if he was considering the pga tour

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I just want to see some good racing. The last thing I want to see is JBS holeshot and run away with RC in second and Reed in third for 20 laps.

Red Mamba

Feb 5, 2006
Masterphil said:
I just want to see some good racing. The last thing I want to see is JBS holeshot and run away with RC in second and Reed in third for 20 laps.
We all wanna see some good racing, but at this point it's out of our hands,all we can do is just watch 'em do what they gotta do,hoping that neither one of them gets hurt to miss the outdoors. Also if you noticed RC never includes Reed as part of putting up a good show for the fans, it's always himself and Stewart, meaning that Reed is not on their level and don't forget the block look back pass on Chad in Detroit.

Mxrider26x

Apr 29, 2006
No Chad Is Very Near Rickys Level Ricky Is Nowhere Near James. He Needs To Stop Including Hismelf With James When He Hasnt Ran With Him Since San Diego And That Was About The Only Time He Could Run With Him and being that im from san diego james was riding a very smart race behind ricky

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Mxrider26x said:
No Chad Is Very Near Rickys Level Ricky Is Nowhere Near James. He Needs To Stop Including Hismelf With James When He Hasnt Ran With Him Since San Diego And That Was About The Only Time He Could Run With Him and being that im from san diego james was riding a very smart race behind ricky
:blah: :blah: :blah:

FYI, If RC wins the series tonight that will be three straight series ('05 SX, '05 MX & '06 SX) that he has finished ahead of James.

Unlike James, RC has never lost an outdoor MX title, and IMO he will also beat James in '06 MX.

That way, when he retires, RC will have beaten James in FOUR STRAIGHT series.

But according to you, RC is 'Nowhere Near James' :coocoo:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
:blah: :blah: :blah:

FYI, If RC wins the series tonight that will be three straight series ('05 SX, '05 MX & '06 SX) that he has finished ahead of James.

Unlike James, RC has never lost an outdoor MX title, and IMO he will also beat James in '06 MX.

That way, when he retires, RC will have beaten James in FOUR STRAIGHT series.

But according to you, RC is 'Nowhere Near James' :coocoo:

Don't confuse us with the facts. :whoa:

All I can say about Vegas is that if RC and CR are close, Ricky will physically rip Rad Chad off his bike and beat him to a bloody pulp before he (RC) lets him (CR) have the title.

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
TheGrinch said:
T-Boning a rider constitutes dirty.
A block pass is not dirty unless you intentionally come into contact with their bike in the process to put them on the ground or over the berm.
Agreed! But T-Boning is an obvious act and easy to call. A block pass sometimes results in contact and even a takeout if the rider being passed refuses to back off or leans in and grabs a handful of throttle. A typical AX block pass takes the outside rider up high in a turn, then shuts the door on him exiting the turn. Sometimes going off the track, likely hitting a tuff block. Is that allowable in Pro SX? Is it dirty riding or "racin' is rubbin'?"

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Vic said:
All I can say about Vegas is that if RC and CR are close, Ricky will physically rip Rad Chad off his bike and beat him to a bloody pulp before he (RC) lets him (CR) have the title.

Like my dad always said; "You got to bring some to get some."

Red Mamba

Feb 5, 2006
Mxrider26x said:
No way Chad is near Ricky's level, not even close, Ricky is indeed near James's level, i would say James is about 6 inches ahead of Ricky and Chad is 12 feet behind Ricky, and i wouldn't blem Ricky for excluding Reed when the racing gets close and intertaining for the fans to watch, Chad has not been able to put up a 20 lap main battle for the fans ,he is not entertaining to watch, let's wait for the outdoors and get the most accurate dimensions.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Red Mamba said:
No way Chad is near Ricky's level, not even close, Ricky is indeed near James's level, .

it's kinda funny reading comments like so & so is not at so & so's level when the reality is, there a 5 pt spread between the top three riders.

The means may have been different but the end result is only 5 pts

Top Bottom