Press for Crank Rebuilding - How Big

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
As I anticipate buying a Harbor Fright 20 ton press for a small suspension job I wonder....

Is 20 tons enough to do the occasional crank job.
Eric's site says you need a 30 ton press - and I always have to question authority....

Thanks!

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
That should do it. My bud who works at a dealer uses a 20 all the time. Works just fine he says. Just have to take your time and don't overload it(watch the gauge).

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
MACE. After my old press gave up the ghost, I purchased one of those 20T Harbor freight presses.

Have done a few cranks on it and it works ok. Of course, 30T would be better, but, the 20T seems to handle up to a 250 crank with no problem.

Be sure to check the alignment of the push bar that comes off of the jack support. The first one that I got was welded on crooked. Had to exchange it. I guess you get what you pay for.

For under $200 bucks, they work pretty good.

Ol'89r

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Alway's wanted one !

Right now I use a wore out one at work© sure would be sweet to do every thing right at home! I bet I could even pay for it with seal replacement for friends? knowing me I'd do them all for free;¤

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Depends what you're working on. Crankcase bearings only need a 5 ton but cranks vary widely. If its a mini to 125 a 20T is ok. If you're looking to press a 250 or 500 crank you'll need a 30-50T with a strong frame. If you want to press a Maico crank then go to a diesel repair shop and borrow theirs:cool:

The hydraulic jack isn't as important as the frame structure. I bought a press from Harbor Freight and Enco and broke them both on the first try pressing a 250 crank and I know it didn't require the full capacity of the jack. Look for a press with sturdy support to prevent it from whipping sideways.

Randy Hawkins, the off-road racer owns a company in Traveler's Rest, SC called American Fabrication. They make a good press and private label them or sell direct. However I don't know the web site or phone number. Maybe somebody else knows?

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
We had a smaller 20 at our shop for a while.

I remember pumping it up to max pressure and having to tap the frame on the side with a twenty pound sledge hammer to get the crank to move.
Later at an auction we scored an air over hydraulic job that was the business.
You could try local auction houses or call around to some machine shops and see if someone has a used one.
You might find a big daddy from someone for cheap.
Bill

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
A good source for a used 50 ton press would be a used equipment reseller that buys from auto parts stores. Barks Equipment in Cape Girardeua Missouri is my personal favorite. Or just go to stores in your local area and see if anybody wants to sell and old press. Nowadays little auto parts stores are getting bought out by chain stores and eliminating their machine shops. These big equipment resellers buy stuff for pennies on the dollar, because their biggest expess is shipping the equipment.
Happy shopping!

Top Bottom