Pressure Washers

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I might buy a pressure washer. I'd want it to clean my bikes and to do stuff around the house. For example, I'd like to wash my BBQ, my outside furnature, the wheels on my car, etc.

What kind should I get? Are gas ones better than electric ones? How much pressure is enough? How much pressure is too much? How much should I spend? Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
TIP: Dont point the pressure washer near any type of bearings i.e., suspension linkage, steering stem etc.
I probably opened a can of worms here but...

326mx

Mar 25, 2002
Don't get one too powerful. My friend has one that washed the graphics off his bike... and splintered his deck.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
people will tell you that if you're gonna be bringing it to the track, gas is the way to go because of limited electrical hook-ups. if you will be using it for the things you mentioned, i'd say electric, I like mine

tileman

Oct 18, 1999
I have one I got from Sears about 3yrs ago it run on gas with a Briggs and Stratton engine. I use it for the bikes after a mud race and I use it all the time on the house & driveway its about 1,200 psi not real strong but works good for me and with the gas engine you can drag it just about anywhere
you have water for it to pump.

I change the oil in it once a yr and its been runing great for 3yrs.
But dont buy a 2,500 psi and point it at the bearings or stickers :eek: :eek:

Ron.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I have an electric 1400 psi washer, I use it every wekend on the bikes,patio,patio furniture and the autos, their great, just watch what you're doing

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i have a craftsman 2000 psi with a tecumseh motor. it had plenty of power to clean anything. it broke a rod about three weeks after the warranty ran out. i bet i didn't use it 15 times. they wouldn't help me out any at all.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
I agree with Rich, Generac is THE way to go. I have a Generac 2400 psi with a Honda engine, bought it three years ago and it seems to be bulletproof. I don't use it on the bike unless it is extremely muddy but It gets used a lot. I wash the house and itds decks, sidewalks, cars, swmming pool deck, and the driveway. It has been trouble-free. :) :)

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
Thank you for all the advice. I'm going to check out the generacs.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I think I have owned one for several months now but I haven't seen or used it so I can't help you out much :) Inside j/k by the way :aj:

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
I would avoid the Karcher brand electric pressure washers, they have given us alot of problems. I think my Home Depot even discontinued selling them, not sure why. :think:

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
We had a homedepot one, it froze and cracked. We called the depot and they LET us have a new better one withpout taking the old one in return. That is good service. Any washer will be fine, just use common sense when washing, use the fan pattern, and dont let it freeze!

Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
I have a 2100psi washer made by Devilbiss. Works great, only issue I have is that it doesn't spray soap at high pressure. It has the ability to spray soap, but only draws soap when the wand is on the low pressure setting. Therefore it is not very effective at washing cars or siding. Works great at blasting off mud though.

Einstein

May 27, 2002
3200 psi Honda 11 horse from Home Depot. The pressure is adjustable so it works great for the bike and works amazing well to etch "loser" into your friends concrete :debil: At the track 4 GPM is a tad much, especially when there are three bikes and it's muddy.

Last edited:

clumberjacks

Apr 25, 2002
i have an old kawasaki that runs on gas and it is great for the bikes. it doesnt have to much pressure, and it works great at the track. i would go with the gas one if you gan get one cheap.

old#48

Jun 17, 2002
This is going to sound cheap, but I was talkin to a guy and he found his pressure washer used at a pawn shop. I was going to try lookin there before breaking down and buying a new one.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I have a Kacher electric unit and it was plenty........ UNTIL I got my Generac Honda powered unit! Ain't nooooo lookin' back now. Here's a few things I learned about the electric unit.

At 1800psi is was enough to clean most things around the house as well as the brick on the house and the driveway BUT, get the exterior outlet wet and your out of business until you get it dried out and reset the GFI and it can take some work to get it dried out.

You ALWAYS find something to clean that is farther away than you have cord.

You will ALWAYS get the extension cord plug wet and be out of business, unless you wrap it in duct tape THEN you have to UNWRAP it when your done.

1700 psi stings if you hit your bare foot or hand with it.

2800 psi from the gas unit is more than enough to blow a hole in your palm.

JUSTRIDE415

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
2800 psi from the gas unit is more than enough to blow a hole in your palm.
i did this with our 9 horsepower honda unit at the store ouch :scream: :scream: i would like to buy one only for my use and bikes

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I am a cheap guy of sorts. i bought a Campbell hausfield from Walamrt...lasted about 10 minutes..went back and traded it for an excell 1300psi.Have had it for 4 years and use it every weekend to clean multiple bikes. This thing has more hours on it than anything else I own. And 4 yrs ago it was 119 dollars. I washed my entire 6 foot fence with it when I sold my place in Texas. made the fence look brand new. Also wash the bricks, siding, truck, cars, rvs...man, i use the heck out of this thing. But, It doesn't siphon, you have to have a hose hooked to it and a generator if you don't have power.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…