Pressure washing the bikes ?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I don't know what psi, i just don't put the nozzle right up too the bike, i hold it back some..
RIck

kawi35

Jul 20, 2002
yea make sure u have the stream out of the nozzle in like a fan not a stream. a stream will destroy the bike.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I own a pressure washer. Just a wimpy 1800 psi model, but it is enough. I will put it this way.....On a stream setting, it will rip the top layer of concrete off of my driveway.

I avoid using this on my bike unless completely necessary. I urge everyone to do the same. Try this test. Pressure was your bike to works bike clean. Then, take your shock linkage apart and check out the water. I think a little bit of dirt beats water in the linkage.

I paid 199.00 for a Coleman brand washer. It is small and portable. It does not shoot the soap at high pressure if that is an issue for you.

Honestly, buy the washer i fyou dont have one allready. It is wonderful to have around the house. Great at cleaning fences. I avoid using it on my motorcycle.

Feb 25, 2001
Well I allready own a commercial 2400PSI honda pressure washer for my business but I would like to buy a small electric washer just for the bike at home after a long race and the thing is rated at 1300 PSI ....I was curious if that was enough.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
We've got a 3200psi Honda from Home Depot...I turn the pressure way down for the bike and also use a 40 degree tip. I'm never too careful about spraying at the bearings and other places. Just last week I took the linkage apart to regrease it and to my amazement there was absolutely no grit or water past the seals, must be that Amsoil grease ;)

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
i think if you have a smallish capacity washer and you are careful around the seals, you will be okay. when i'm washing and i come across a linkage or seal, i bring the nozzle back a few feet to lower the pressure at the target.
pressure washers are a gift on dirrty mud guards and tyres. i will continue to use mine.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Agreed, sometimes you have to use it. I avoid it if my bike is just dust covered.

The ultimate companion to the pressure washer is a small leaf blower. It works well for drying off the brake calipers and chain. Honest, I look like an idiot blowing my bike, but the 140 mph air blowing out works wonders.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001

that's actually a really good idea. good one :thumb:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
ive been using the leaf blower on my bike and my cars for years. its faster than a chamois.

Motox125

Jun 15, 2002
I use a 2400PSI Honda powerwasher, but I think it is really overkill. You could probably get away with a cheap 1600 or 1800psi unit. Depending on how dirty the bike is, I will either use the white (low pressure) or yellow (medium pressure) nozzles.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Kind of off subject, but does anyone have a ~5hp Honda GC engine on their pressure washer. My dad was thinking of buying one from NorthernTool.com that was made by Comet with the Honda engine. But when you look at the comparisons between this model and other models engine, which are also Honda, The Honda GC has an aluminum sleeve, the rest have chome-moly or something like that. He was worried that the aluminum sleeve would wear fast so as of now he's holding off buying one. So does anyone have this engine on their washer or know anything about it?
Thanks alot
Jim

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The air compressor works well, but it has the hose that is always 1 foot too short.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Glitch, I have the exact model pressuer washer you are tlaking about. It's a good one for around the house and has adjustable PSI. I don't use it on my bike too much, but it's good to have just in case. We've had no problems at all with it. Also, Comet pumps are good quality.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…