RECENT POSTS

Price vs. Quality for Sprockets?

I have a very limited selection for sprockets for my 93' RT180.

SunStar and JT sprockets both make the size sprockets that I need; however SunStar are about 5-8 bucks more per sprocket.

I know I'm cheap... obviously... however I don't know if anyone's had these brands or has any insight as to how well they hold up on trail bikes.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Also, as far as chains, I've read a lot on 520 chains, however my bike runs 428 and there aren't a lot of options for O-ring or X-ring chains.

I don't want to spend 70 bucks on a chain anyway... my main concern is what I can "get away with" on my bike.

Most cheaper chains (30 bucks and under) will say they have a tensile strength around 5,000lbs and are NOT to be used on bikes OVER 125cc. Ok... well that leaves a lot to interpret. My bike is a RT180, however it's not nearly as powerful as say a YZ125.

Can I get away with running cheaper 125-use chain on my 180 for basic trail riding and woods riding...

I'm not going to be pounding this thing on the MX track or anything, maybe once in a while, but not racing hard-core.

Thanks for the input.

Dan

PS... please no "get what you pay for" replies... I know that if I spent 200 bucks on a new final drive I'd be better off and it'd probably outlast my bike... however... I'm cheap, and I want something that works well for a reasonable price. I was mainly looking at RK, Tsubaki chains which are both over 5,000lbs tensile and are pre-stretched. The RK is 40.99 and the Tsubaki is 29.99

Sunstar sprockets are the best value. I use DID chains, they are also a good value. A non o-ring 520 chain is $36, I believe.

If your sprockets are designed for 428, then a 520 will not fit. Both the length and width of the links will be wrong. If you want to go to a 520, the you will have to find 520 sprockets that fit your bike, and it doesn't look promising. For your application, it doesn't really matter which brand you choose, a well maintained cheap driveline will last longer than a poorly maintained expensive one.

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
I dont know about sunstar after last weeks race two yz450's rounded off all the teeth on their sunstar OEM sprockets and one was its first ride. I personaly have never seen a sprocket do that in so short of time till last week

Thanks for the input... I don't want to upgrade to a wider chain, I don't have the frame space, or enough to fit it near the engine.

I was basically wondering what my options were for 428 chain and sprockets.

The TT's are a different bolt pattern, as are most of the other hubs I've seen.

I think I'll just go with some JT sprockets and a RK chain. Like I said, I'm not racing/beating on the thing... mainly just woods riding.

Thanks again.

Dan

I like the quality of the RK's thats all I will ever use...

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
FruDaddy said:
HaLFMOON??
jmp saturday night for the carolina mini o's but i was at half moon a few weeks ago you may have seen me. I was the KTM 250 number... smilie face!