Cannon00

Jul 20, 2002
Hey everyone, I recently put a new crank in my 99' cr 250, a wiseco hotrod kit.

After installing it I heard a metallic clicking noise as the bike would idle down from revving and thought I got a faulty crank bearing. After checking it out the noise is coming from the primary drive gear on the crank shaft. The gear has a very little play back and forth on the crankshaft and is moving back and forth on the splines as the bike idles down.

Is this a serious problem? Is there any way to fix it assuming the drive gear isn't worn, because it never made this noise on the old crank?

MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
uhh i dont think there should be ANY play what so ever, considering this is the gear that drives the whole engtire bike and all its functions. Not to mention the stress the gear is under as you accelerate you could easily spin the splines that are on the crank and youll end up having to replace the crank all over again.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
My YZ's use a large nut to secure the front sprocket onto the shaft, all three of my buddies with RM 250's, just use a circlip to hold it on the shaft. I can't see the clip keeping it too tight, but their's doesn't make this noise either.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Well,the hotrod is a reconditioned crank,at least the one I seen last week was! Wiseco has about the best product,then hotrod,then oem! If you can confirm that the crank end has issues I would be on the hot phone! Close inspection of the end is in order. For it to rock should be visible. Don't you have the old crank,compare it. Now ,wait a minute,rm,it may be hillbillied,but honda,yes torqued. You do not have a manual,do you?

dray

Jul 12, 2007
Are you sure you havent left out a washer? Get a schematic and make sure everything is there, and in the right order.

Cannon00

Jul 20, 2002
I have a manual. I didn't know hot rod cranks were reconditioned. Also, I didn't know wiseco made any crank besides the hot rod crank. Seeings as the hotrod crank is wiseco. Also the bolt is torqued properly. No matter how much or how little you torque something it should be tight against it's splines from forces in either direction, amount of torque should have nothing to do with movement on the splines. The end of the crank is not worn in any noticeable fashion, it looks shiny and new and even like an oem part. I guess I should get to measuring and comparing.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Are you sure the whole crank isn't moving back and forth or is it just the gear? There should be some axial play in the crankshaft. If it's the gear, it may have been installed upside down or the washer between the bolt and gear is missing. How does the gear mesh with the gear on the clutch basket, the teeth should be about level (not exactly, but pretty close).

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I heard wiseco and hotrod separated. Smoking deals on engine kits from HR,includes wiseco piston! There should be like,no play in the end of the crank. Centering the crank is pretty easy,you did that right? Should be a collar,washer and bolt. Check the washer thickness.

Top Bottom