Pro circut pipe vrs Fmf fatty vrs Gnarly rev

Gone crazy

Dec 28, 2010
I was wondering how many of you have had the chance to compare a procircut pipe on a kdx and say a Fmf fatty, I rode one of my friends 91 kdx with a fatty but i didnt like it because it was all bottom end not at all like my favorite pipe on a 250 which is a Fatty it has the best power spread all over, i have a pro circut pipe on my kdx 220 but im not too sure i like the spread of power. I was wondering how the FMF Gnarly rev pipe compares to the fatty on a 250 and the procircut. I know this sounds confusing i guess to simplify it since my bike is a 98 220 There is only the FMF Gnarly rev and procircut are the ones i am interested in hearing about, like i said i have the pro-circut and not happy with it too much, to make things honest i am running the stock silencer ive read that its just as good as aftermarket and quiet but its not quiet and i wonder about the article on the flow being just as good also.

KDXROCKET14

Mar 22, 2012
Hello, i too ride a kdx 220, and have experimented with the pro circuit and gnarly rev pipe. When i had the pro circuit platinum it was all rev, no bottom end what so ever, now the gnarly rev gives you way more bottom end, and a nice burst through the mid and all the way up top. My favorite pipe for the 220 easily. See fmf makes a gnarly woods which is mainly focused on bottom end. The gnarly desert (rev) gives you more of a spread, on the 220. The woods pipe is great on the 200. Never tried a woods pipe on the 220, sure its great too. A huge plus too is that these pipes are a lot tougher than pro circuits. No pipe is invincible from dents, but the gnarly is way tougher. So i'd go with the gnarly. It has a lot more power all throught the powerband. Good luck
Ryan..

KDXROCKET14

Mar 22, 2012
Also on the silencers, i am running an fmf Q silencer and i love it too. The turbine core 2 is also great. Both are very quiet, the Q more so, but offer way more "flow". I ran the stock silencer once, it was alright, but i love the extra " hit' of the powerband with a Q. Sounds way, way, better as well. It'll give you a little more boost, and make it sound throaty :nod: .
Ryan

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
You have a 98 220, so things are different. A Rev pipe on a 220 acts like a torque pipe. A torque pipe on a 220 acts like crap. So youre only real choice is a rev pipe (that will act like a torque pipe, which will still do better and be lighter than stock).

A 220 with a Pro Circuit rev pipe pulls pretty close to a 200 with an FMF torque pipe and a Eric Gore 225 big bore. Good power everywhere, nothing too peaky.

2morestrokes

May 19, 2012
I had a KDX220 01 model, with a Wiseco piston and perfect crisp jetting, I first tryed the Gnarly woods pipe and mid and top end are flat, great torque on the bottom but if you ever plan to do over 35 mph then it really sucks, the Desert pipe on the other hand is fricken awesome, plenty of bottom but mid and top hit like a mack truck, fricken sweet, I also plan to put a FMF Desert pipe on my my 06 200, with the FMF shorty, the shorty sounds awesome, power is also seemingly crisper and quicker with the shorty in my opinion.

Gone crazy

Dec 28, 2010
Just how much of a boost is the rb head over stock or just haveing one milled? I milled almost 55 thousands off my head and just did some mild porting of the cylinder. I know for a fact working with the squish can really wake up a bike and im wondering how the RB head effects the whole power band, roll on power, bottom end, top end, and will it make the bike pull wheelies in a taller gear showing more power?

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
A 2nd for the Pro Circuit pipe , a lot more bottom and smoother overall power delivery with out only the top end hit of a gnarly. :nod:

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Gone crazy said:
Just how much of a boost is the rb head over stock or just haveing one milled? I milled almost 55 thousands off my head and just did some mild porting of the cylinder. I know for a fact working with the squish can really wake up a bike and im wondering how the RB head effects the whole power band, roll on power, bottom end, top end, and will it make the bike pull wheelies in a taller gear showing more power?

Wow ,, .055 off the head . I'd think that would be a lot.
I havn't had my 220 head done yet but I only took .015 off a 200 head , which was about the thickness of a head gasket.

Do you have a detonation problems or what do you run for fuel ?

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just trying to make sure people keep in mind a subtle but critical distinction.

On a KDX-200, a torque (woods) pipe is a torque (woods) pipe.
On a KDX-200, a rev (desert) pipe is a rev (desert) pipe.
On a KDX-220, a rev (desert) pipe is a torque (woods) pipe.
On a KDX-220, a torque (woods) pipe is disaster.

The Pro Circuit rev pipe on a stock 220 feels about the same as my KDX-200 that was bored and ported (225) with a torque pipe.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Pro- circuit only makes one pipe for the 220 , simple enough

I'd dare guess that it would make good power on a 225 also.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom