CYCLE WORKS

Oct 22, 2003
What bar mounts/triple clamp do you guys use to mount pro taper bars to '95 and up KDX's? I have tried the magura universal mounts but the bolt is too short. I ordered up a set of the pro taper rubber mounted universal mounts. Will those solve my problem?

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
The pro taper universal mounts should work just fine. That's how I have my pro tapers mounted. You leave the bottom part of the stock mounts bolted to the triple clamp then bolt the universal mounts to that. I believe it raises the rise of the bars by about 3/4 of an inch. It works fine.

Good luck,
Chuck

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I got my top triple clamp and bar mount from Scotts with my steering damper. I'm sure they sell them separately.
They fit perfectly with no problem.
JCW

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I just put on some renthal fatbars. CR High bends. I got the TAG Clamps for rubber mounted cones for 50 bux, which is a good price. The Pro Taper mounts, are the same. You take out the whole bar mount, then just stick in the new one. You dont leave the bottom part of the stock mount on there. You can only use like 1 washer with the mounts because of the bole length. you want the bolt to go all the way through the nut.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
I guess my universal mounts are different. The bottom mount of the universals did not have one long center bolt but rather two bolts that bolted right up to the stock bottom mount.

west

Nov 12, 2002
I also put the pro tapers on with the Tag mounts using the factory rubbers and washers. They work great but the Tag mounts have recessed bolts for the bar clamps that make mounting your odometer to them impossible. You will have to modify your bracket and bolt it to one of the spare holes in your tripple clamps. I believe that magura makes one that uses a flat surface under the bolt whick will accept the stock bracket better but it's not hard with the Tags and they are more available.

CYCLE WORKS

Oct 22, 2003
THANKS GUYS, IT MIGHT BE EASY FOR YOU GUYS TO GET TAG MOUNTS BUT OUT HERE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. IM A DEALER AND PARTS UNLIMETED SEEMS TO NEVER HAVE THEM IN STOCK. TO THE GUY WITH THE UNIVERSAL MOUNTS THAT YOU ARE PUTTING ON TOP OF YOUR ORIGINAL MOUNTS BE CAREFUL BECAUSE I HAVE HEARD HORROR STORIES ABOUT THAT SET UP. I BELIEVE IF YOU LOOK AT THE PACKAGE ON THEM YOU WILL FIND THAT IT SPECIFICALLY SAYS NOT TO USE THOSE WITH RUBBER MOUNTED BARS. I ORDERED UP THE UNIVERSAL PRO TAPER FOR THE GUY AND FROM WHAT YOU GUYS ARE SAYING IT SHOULD WORK. THANX AGAIN
CYCLE WORKS

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
Has anybody else heard any "horror stories" about installing universal bar clamps on the stock rubber mounted, lower mounts? Or, has anyone had a bad experience with this type of set up themselves?

I've been running this set up for about a year with no problem, But, if it's an accident waiting to happen, I'll take some steps to correct it.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Just use a set up rubber mounted bar clamps intended for an aftermarket triple clamp. You can see some here http://mxsouth.com/applied/apppg04.htm There are plenty of other brands as well so shop around for the best price. The nice thing about these units is that they come in your choice of heights. You'll need to order the D-bolt style, there're intended for rubber mounted bars, and your stock rubber cones etc. Stiffer cones are also available.

David

Top Bottom