youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
I am new to the dirt bikes and getting myself set up with the protective gear. Today was the first time I wore the MX boots that I bought and found I can't shift gears like I could with steel toe boots. If I sit way forward on the seat, then my foot angle will go under the shift and I can hit the gears. Is that where I am suppose to sit? I am way forward on the handle bars then!

Do the boots "break in" and I will get more angle out of them with time or do I have to re-adjust the shift lever up so my foot can go under it better? The boots are the Moose MX. I like how they fit and are very comfortable.

Please let me know your experience with MX boots. My next buy will be a body armor vest. Any suggestions there?

Thanks

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You will need to readjust the shift lever so your boot fits under it. It's on a spline shaft so try moving it 1 spline at a time until you like it. There is no hard and fast rule but you want to avoid pointing you toe down so it doesn't catch on a rock or root.

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Ditto - with RM_Guy. I ride primarily woods, and stand up a lot, so I simply moved my shifter upwards a tad. Take some time the next time you go riding, and experiment a little, at the same time adjusting the pitch/angle of your handlebars.

There are like fifty billion chest protector options out there now, and they all pretty much fit nicely, and work. Since I'm a personal trainer, I have to search for brands that fit larger/built guys. I had to buy the SIDI boots with the calf adjustments...and I chose ACERBIS for my chest protector since it covered more easily my massive chest! :nod:

Anyway, take your time - and welcome to dirtbikes!

youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
Thanks for the replies. The manual speaks of setting the shift and brake parallel with the ground. I thought it was me that had to adjust. I just got back from riding more and sitting forward does allow me to hammer all the gears to full throttle across several fields. I thought I read somewhere that the CRF shift could not be raised much because it hits on the engine if higher. I will have to play with it.

The body armor I am looking at is a suit. Shoulder, elbow, spine, rib, etc protection with one piece to put on. Has a mesh material to be cooler. Several on the market, but what is the most prefered?

CJR

Jun 22, 2008
youngnbald

I had the same issue when I first starting using MX boots. I always rode with work boots and the MX boots took a bit of getting used to. At first I was missing gears and I didn't have a feel for the shifter. After a few rides the boots broke in a bit and I became much more comfortable with them without any adjustments to the bike. Give it some time and I'm sure you will be fine.

You shouldn't need to move your shift lever up unless your feet are as massive as ToddHawaii's chest. :coocoo: :laugh:

youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
LOL!!! I was thinking about leaving the shift alone. Thanks for the comments and what you guys have been through. I figured if I did change it, this could cause a bad habit and isn't correct. Good to hear feedback and know I am some what normal.

No, my foot is just the same old size as most. I do like the boots and the feel!!!! I have a feeling this hobby is going to eat up some of my money!!!! If it is fun, I will make it happen. Gotta have toys, right?

youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
_JOE_ said:
I run my shifter a few splines higher than stock.

The CRF 250 is probably like the 450? Any issues with raising it a tooth or two? I don't know where I read someone saying the shift is too short and hits the engine if moved (unless he tried an aftermarket extended shift lever????).

When I get time again, I will be playing with it! The bike is not as clean as it once was now :laugh: Maybe now the paint on the factory tires will come off (still can't believe this is a 2003 bike and looks new!!!!)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Not sure on the 450, but my 250 does have a bit of clearance issues if you try to go too high.

The color bands on tires will hang tough for a long time. I use some Simple Green to clean my bike and I had 60+ hours on the tires and you could still see the bands, lol.

youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
I thought the color bands would be gone by now? I do know the previous owner of this bike and his way and amount of riding. I think I got a deal of the century with this buy. He did an aftermarket handle bar and tightened the perches too much. I guess the radiator protectors are extra also.

Sounds like the 450 and 250 have the same situation. I am going to see what happens with more ride time and experiment.

Top Bottom