speeddemon14

Jul 19, 2003
i have just got a new 2004 CR 85 Expert two weeks ago. And the last couple of days I have had a problem starting my bike. I changed the spark plug and made sure the gas tank was full. But still when I kick start it the engine just makes a "whoomf" sound and thats it, and when i try to bumb start it the engine cracks a couple of times and dies. i dont know if the weather has something to do with starting because i have heard certain brands of bikes don't perform as well in bad weather, but it has been cold and rainy here the last couple of days. if anybody has any info or ideas about what i should do i would appreciate it.

thanks

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
There's a couple of basic things you need to do.
#1--After kicking it a few times (3-5 should be goood), pull the plug and check to see if it's wet. If so, you've got excess fuel in the cylinder and will need a new plug (this one is fouled now).

#2--If the plug is dry (It MUST be brand new--not used once or twice), put it back into the plug cap, lean the electrode part (end that goes into the engine) up against the cylinder head and kick a few times (5 or so should be good) at the same LOOKING closely at the electrode for a nice blue spark.

#If you get a good spark and the plug WAS dry when you pulled it out of the head, put a couple of tablespoons of fuel from your gas tank into the head, screw the plug back into the engine and reattach the plug cap. Kick the bike a few times, it SHOULD try and run.

Let us know how this goes or if any step above isn't as it should be, report back.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
I had a problem just like this one. I finally figured it out, if the idle is too high it wont start, it'll just make a really deep "braaapphh"ing kind of sound. Just adjust the idle on the carberator and that will solve it.

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
And if all else fails there is one more thing you can do. It won't fix the problem but it will get you started, spray starting fluid on the air filter. Once you get it started, even though it is hard on the engine just give it a few good revs to get everything moving.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
And if all else fails there is one more thing you can do. It won't fix the problem but it will get you started, spray starting fluid on the air filter. Once you get it started, even though it is hard on the engine just give it a few good revs to get everything moving.

I would Not try that. It could eat the airfilter and restrict air flow.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
1. lean bike to one side till gas comes out the overflow tubes.
2. choke on
3. kick start it, but do NOT turn the throttle.

it may stall when too much throttle is applied, so give it just a little twist.
when it is really cold, two strokes, sometimes, are a little hard to start.

Top Bottom