lobe50

Jul 16, 2007
Hey All

My son's 2005 KX 65 died on us last week. I ordered a Wiseco Top End kit and installed it today.

Sadly the bike barely runs and sounds horrible.

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong w/ it by listening to this video....?
Thanx

lobe50

Jul 16, 2007
Crap...having problem posting video :(

It sounds like a squeeling metal noise and has no power, seems to come from lower end.
But kicks over fine????

I will work on vid later, or if anyone could PM me w/ email address I will send it to you to listen to.
Thanx Again

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
My guess is it will be the crank. Quit trying to run it/kick it and pull it apart to inspect as it's likely only going to get more expensive with each attempt.

lobe50

Jul 16, 2007
Thanks Chili
I will have to look into that.
You have been a great resource for me. All our bikes are having issues all at once. Ih well, like they say...When it Rains it Pours LOL. I will also be posting some pics of the YZ85 clutch next....

I was always under the assumption that if the bike needed bottom end work you need to bring it to a shop because there was alot of special tools required to "split the case" and rebuild the bottom end. Is that true??

Thanx Again

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
From the sounds of it Chili has you pointed in the right direction. It also sounds like you should look at pulling the engine and sending it to Eric Gorr or take it to a local shop. If you have a factory manual you might attempt the lower end but only you know if that's something you are comfortable with.

lobe50

Jul 16, 2007
I would not mind tearing it down and rebuilding the bottom also, but always assumed that it was not possible at home w/o special tools??

Is that true??

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You can make tools that will do the job but it is a bit more involved than a lawnmower engine as you have a transmission to deal with. If you have the factory manual look in the book and it will show the tolls you need. Then do a little thinkin' and you should be able to replicate them. You might also search here on DRN as I recall somebody doing just this.

In all honesty I have the ability to borrow the tools and do the work myself but Eric and Rich do such a great job and know more details than I do that it makes no sense to me to mess with it. We currently have a BMC 1500 engine on the stand in the garage that is a project that I know most of the tricks for so I am doing it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
My nephews KX85 had that same problem.. The noise..

The crank seal on the clutch side sucked in against the bearing.. It ruined the bearing and the seal.

But, a new set of bearings and seals and it was back in business.

We determined it happened due to him constantly running the bike dry.

He doesn't do that anymore, and hasn't had an issue with it since.

Top Bottom