dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
I am going to have my 1974 DT360A bored out in two weeks. It is getting a 3rd over set (.75mm over) and new wrist pin, bearing, circlips and both top end gaskets. The head is going to get polished. Now, I have seen lots of posts on here about people rebuilding top ends ever 20 hours of riding due to them being bored and what not. My piston costs well over $100 and the rings are $80. Plus the cost of boring and what not. I can not afford to be doing this often, I'd rather not do it ever again! What causes such a rebuild? Anything I can do to prevent a shut down of the engine and what not? There are few parts available for this bike, I would much rather have to not buy a piston set ever again. Please help!

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
If you don't race or have a high compression set up, or rev the piss out of it when you ride, you shouldn't go through top ends as fast as the guys out there rippin up the track. Break it in with a little extra pre mix and some higher octane gas (92). Ride the bike for about 5 hours then do a compression check. Ride the bike as you normally would and after 20-30 hours do another compression test. I think you'll find you will not have to do top ends that frequently. Make sure you're doing the compression tests with the engine warm and don't forget to write down the results. - bjawes

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
Sorry I forgot one thing: make sure you air/fuel ratio isn't going to cause any premature engine damage (a lean running motor gets hot and goes through top ends/pistons quick).

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
No, not a stupid question. You could buy a compression gauge with a rubber nipple on the end of it, (cheapest one) or spend the money on one that threads into your spark plug hole. Compression is checked through the plug hole (with plug removed) , the problem with the cheap one is you need to hold it firmly against the head and not let go until you get a good reading (takes two people). With the more expensive ones, you can screw it in and let go of it while you're kicking the bike over. Napa or any auto parts store should have them, remember to bring your plug with you so you get the correct threads. Cheap ones cost about $35, you can find the threaded ones for about $60. - bjawes

dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
Yikes, Im low on cash as of late anyway. I think I'll be fine, but would it be possible to weld an air pressure guage to an old spark plug thread thats been hollowed out? Create a $5 comp. tester?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dpawl said:
If it works I will sell them on E-Bay in spite of you! muaha! lol

One more useless POS on e-bay :rotfl:

Top Bottom