NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
steve125 said:
...I still believe the Mobil 1 helps relieve internal stiction better than a regular fork oil.
And that's without saying how much it reduces internal wear. I get twice the life on bushings, and the oil comes out cleaner too.

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Just used in the outers on the CRF, I gotta agree with the smeary look on the sliders! My forks are now upside down draining in the garage. The fork tubes were slightly wet using 0-20 Mobil1, and they did attract dirt. On a positive note it's obviously slicker and sped up the front as I had to slow down the rebound one click to stop it from springing back and beating up my hands. But I think it'll shorten the life of the seals so out it goes.

So now I'll try Mobil1 ATF, then there's always FF5 like recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
My concern when ever thinking about using ATF, is the additional seal stiction(seal swell) due to seal conditioners that are found in most ATF fluids.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
its possible, but i was speaking to a friend last weekend who has ran aft for the last 5 years and has not reported any adverse effects-maybe he doesnt notice any extra stiction? maybe it doesnt have any?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I've been running the Mobil 1 Syn. ATF in a few sets of forks for a while now and I haven't noticed any increased stiction. I think that the forks are smoother with the ATF than with the standard fork oils. I've been happy with it and will continue to run it.

I am by no means a suspension expert but I do like the feel of the forks with the ATF in them, maybe some people would not. I don't see the harm in trying different fluids. :)

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
If it works for you studboy then don't change. The other reason I won't use the ATF, more importantly than possible stiction issues. Is it's visc.index, that places it's weight in the 10W-15W range, thats way to thick for my use. That would be for the inner cartridge anyway. I see no advantage in using the ATF in the outer chambers, over the light weight motor oil.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Steve, I haven't tried it in the twin-chamber forks at all.

turboandy

Jan 3, 2003
I don't post much but I think this is worth mentioning. After each time I wash my bikes I use a rag saturated with Mobil1 and wipe down the tubes and the shock shaft than using a clean rag just wipe that off. My seals last forever unless I ding a fork leg. A buddy of mine told me some the helicopter mechanics do it.

Top Bottom