CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Has anybody had any problems w/ using Mobil ATF-namely leaking seals? I tried the ATF in my CR forks, along w/ some careful set-up. Hey, not-too-shabby! The mid stroke harshness is definitely reduced now that the oil can flow past the valve stack-as opposed to the 90w axle grease that came stock from Japan.
But, now my seals weep. I've dropped the dust seals down, and cleaned w/ contact cleaner/film, but still get just a little seepage. It started the moment I switched oil. Hmmm. Any suggestions?

------------------
01CR250
Uuugh, that was pretty cool

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
I had a serious problem with M1 ATF last week. I was adjusting my level and accidently knocked an almost full bottle over on my workbench. Harsh? Yes there were very harsh words.

I've had no problems with my fork. M1 may have sufficient detergent additives to wash away the last bit of crud that was keeping your seals from leaking. Possibly when you collapsed the forks to set the level you found a rough spot on the tube that normally is beyond regular travel. I'm really just guessing. M1 seems to be good stuff though and were I you I would replace the seals and go ahead and continue using the M1.

4banger

Jul 2, 2000
I have been having problems with my yz400f leaking after I switched to mobil one atf. I have replaced the seals and inspected the tubes thoroughly for burrs, but they seem to weep a little. I am going back to regular fork oil and see if it makes a difference.

------------------

Feb 25, 2001
I cant find the stuff .. I want to use it but no auto store here has it or atleast Im not looking at the right place.

------------------
Im no Einstein...But I might be a rocket scientist.

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Please enlighten me about this. What is it that leads you to use ATF in forks? why not fork oil? It would seem that fork oil comes in an infinate variety of viscosities,...viscosi,....vis, thicknesses when you can mix and blend to get the perfect level.

What advantage do you think ATF has?? :confused:

------------------
98 CR125 01 CR250 99YZF R1

Thanks to: Motorex / D.I.D. / Vesrah / YES Helmets

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
It only costs about $5/qt, it's synthetic and it works better than any fork oil I have used personally. Every suspension I set up now gets this stuff! I had one of my riders race the entire season last year without changing it to test long term usage. This stuff, being synthetic, exhibited far less wear and tear internally on the forks and shock. I mean it came out way cleaner than some other oils I used to use that were changed mid season. That told me that synthetics belong in suspenion, and being that it's cheap is just another plus. I can't get a whole season of use from any other fluid I have tried. While I certainly don't recommend going a whole season on it, it will hold up as well or maybe even better than any spendy suspension fluid on the market.

Because it's a slightly heavier fluid it also seems to give the adjusters a better range of effectiveness. You could gain this with any heavier fork fluid, but I doubt you will get the superior wear qualities out of a non synthetic fluid. Price some synthetic suspenion fluid and see how it compares to the Mobil 1 ATF.

The only other oil I would use at this time is Motorex. I had excellent results with that stuff too. But it's still more than twice the price. Use what you want or are comfortable with but this stuff rocks!!

------------------

Vester

Jan 22, 2000
What about Mobil 1 for the shock? I'm using it right now although Pro-Action recommends a 2.5wt with their valving setup. I can't tell much of a difference. What do you think?

------------------

Vester
96 RM250
"Let's see if an "A" rider tries it first.."

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I use it in the shocks too. Seems to work just great there as well. Same deal for me there, comes out clean. I'm not a fan of 2.5wt suspension fluids, prefer to use heavier.

My only concern of it in shocks was the VI being lower than what most high quality shock fluids are, but I've experienced no problems with it fading or anything else so any concerns have been set aside. It works great for me!

------------------

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Thanks shocknut - interesting. I get Motorex as a support deal so I'll stick with that. We change fork oil ever 10 rides or so and its always real dirty, unless the bike is allowed to stand for an hour or so then the oil 'appears' to be clean til' we flush the fork.
Does ATF come in various viscosities?

------------------
98 CR125 01 CR250 99YZF R1

Thanks to: Motorex / D.I.D. / Vesrah / YES Helmets

[This message has been edited by zsr (edited 04-15-2001).]

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I like the Motorex! Good stuff I think. I don't know about the variance in viscosity of ATF's, but the ones I did get info on were all around 7.5wt or so. This was Amsoil, Red Line, and the Mobil 1. These are all synthetic atf's too.

------------------

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
M1 ATF is hard to find here as well. Not that cheap either. I'm tempted to try Amsoil ATF which I can get from a buddy. Any thoughts on that?

Kind of on topic, about a yearnhalf ago I assembled my forks with a revised goldvalve setting and since I had several different brands of oil in partial bottles I just mixed em up and put em in. When I got my MXT Cheese Valves and took the fork apart, the GVs were tarnished to kind of a chocolate color. I guess there was some incompatibility with those oils which produced an acidity. I think it would be interesting to keep some litmus paper around to test this sort of thing out.

I think the witches brew was about equal parts RT Ultra Slick Snake Oil, Honda Brand and Spectro.

Speaking of snake oil, I have had the sick idea of adding some Slick 50 or similar to my M1 ATF. Anyone gone down that path???

------------------
MACE

Hey ho, let's go... Hey ho, let's go...
Hey ho, let's go... Hey ho, let's go-o-o-o!

DaddGoneMadd

Apr 23, 2000
When my son was racing 50's(thank God that nightmare is over!), I added about an ounce of X1-R oil additive to each fork. Those cheap little forks had no bushings, the whole slider was a "bearing" surface. They actually had a lot less stiction when I was done, but I may have just got lucky and assembled the front end without any binding.

Vester

Jan 22, 2000
Mace,
Yes that would be interesting. Time to do some brewing? What about that stuff they use to have infomercials on...I think it was Duralube?

------------------

Vester
96 RM250
"Let's see if an "A" rider tries it first.."

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Regarding locating the Mobil 1, I by it, MX2T and Mobil 15w50 through a supplier warehouse. Look in the yellow pages for something. Its cheaper this way and I get it all in one trip every couple months.

------------------
Mion
OCCRA #19

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
I had trouble finding Mobil 1 ATF too, but found it at the local Quick Lube place.

------------------
Magoo
Fear is Temporary, Regret is Permanent!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Shocknut said:
It only costs about $5/qt, it's synthetic and it works better than any fork oil I have used personally. Every suspension I set up now gets this stuff! .......

......Use what you want or are comfortable with but this stuff rocks!!

------------------

So do tell Jeff, in hindsight, do you still feel the same way about Mobil 1 ATF in suspension?

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
In the outer tubes of the Showas. Anyone tried 0-20w or 0-30w Mobil 1? Or is the Mobil 1 ATF the best to use?

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Nope. none that I recall. In fact I used my original fork seals until 02 and even then they were not leaking when I replaced them. Are you having seal problems Steve?

Top Bottom