rames90

Sep 7, 2000
I've just found a '97 CR250 I am interested in, I understand that this is the first year of CR250 with the aluminum frame. Anyone have this year of bike? Are there specific problems with this year?

bens

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2001
The only problem Ive come across is how rigid the frame is. other than that the bike has been bullet proof.

Honda318

Jul 6, 2001
i have a 97cr250 and i love the bike,the stock susp is awsome for my weight,and the bike is very very slim and nimble,corners really good,the best thing is the motor,it is sooo strong,very powerfull,clutch action is awsome and shiften is smooth,it is a awsome bike for mx,sx or trail riden,i woodnt get it if u doing baja or 5th gear pinned riden.take it from me a 97cr250 owner the bike is awsome !

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I haven't heard of any reliability/durability problems, the negative part is the "love it or hate it" frame/handling. Personally, I hated it. Too rigid/stiff feeling. Even tho I'm a CR fan and owner, I'd take a look at a KX of that era ('97 and up) or a '96 RM (I rode one for 3 seasons)...great bikes. Only problem is, the CRs probably hold up better, and we are talking about a four year old bike here. But, you gotta enjoy riding the bike, that's what it's for, eh?

Trying to help, but not sure if I did.

Ricky

Jan 12, 2000
I love mine. I mostly trail ride, added a 12oz stealhy flywheel wt so it chugs a little better, other than that the motor is stock. No problems whatsoever

rames90

Sep 7, 2000
Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to pick it up tonight. Now I just need some accessories to add on, does anyone know of a plastic kit for the '97 CR250 that includes everything? The OEM plastic is in very bad shape.

bens

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2001
I went w/ the Elsinore kit from ONE Industries. it included all plastic, seat cover, and graphics for under $200. Oh and the bike looks kick a$$ also.

Heres a link to there site.
www.oneindustries.com

Last edited:

rames90

Sep 7, 2000
I have my eye set on the Seth Enslow Kit from One, I like the Elsinore too, so many choices... :confused: :cool:

I picked up the bike last night, I think I'm going to do the top end before I spend money on plastic, just to be sure the bike is mechanically sound.

bens

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2001
Congrats on the purchase it should be a good bike for you. I know what you mean about all the different graphics kits. the seth kit is sweet...

---------------------------
  • 1997 CR250

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
97 cr250 - ride report

I had a 97 01 and now a 02.
The 97 does not turn well. When turning the front end pushes out. What does that mean? well when turning at fast speeds the front end wants to wash out.

Suspension- front end has midstroke harshness - bad! it tires your hands.
Shock is fine.

Engine is mainly mid and a lot of top end. Low end is very week.

The bike is very reliable and bulet proof. Only bad thing is the front end push out and the midstroke harshness means you need to put the honda ss7 oil. Put it in it works great! I put it in my 97 and my 01 and I loved the results. You just have to slow down the rebound.

good luck

Top Bottom