RECENT POSTS

Products that never made it.

I just saw a picture of a bike yesterday from the early 90's that had a red colored chain, remember those? So that prompted me to think of products that never made it, here's only a few that I came up with.
1.colored chains (you could get them in red,blue,green,yellow)
2. Pivoting footpegs (although I think they are coming back)
3. Roost boost :)
4. Exhaust pipe paint

MXFastGuy

Lifetime Sponsor
-Split sprockets for quick gear changes
-BASS (mid-80's Yamaha Brake Actuated Suspension System)
-Boyesen pivoting levers (funny how the ARC design made it)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
Countershaft mounted rear brake disc

ATK/Boyesen chain torque eliminator thingy - the one with the little sprockets mounted to the frame above and below the swingarm.

RIBI front suspension

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
One of Eric Gorr's inventions that was a technical success but never a commercial one.

Click here.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
I had a 91 yz125 with one of those Roost Boost dealies on it. What did it do?
(If anything at all)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
Originally posted by Highbeam
Rotary valve induction for 2-strokes. Think kawasaki KE125 with the carb on the side.

Rotary valve induction was a huge success, and is still in use on some very successful racing engines. Reed valves just proved to be a better and cheaper solution for the majority of applications.

Cannondale dirt bikes :) .
Two wheel drive dirt bikes, although Yamaha has a new WR prototype.
Two spark plug heads, remember those?
Two carb intakes and exhaust 1 cyl 4 strokes, they ran ok though.
Can-AM used to store the 2 stroke oil in the frame,,, oh wait, thats back in favor with 4 strokes and Buells :) .
Can-AM
2 stroke auto injectors. There still around, but I wonder why they are not used more, its nice to adjust your mixture on the trail with out dumping all your gas....

Oh and remember when I think it was YZs that had a sticker on the side that said POWER BAND. And all the kids would say, dose your bike have power bands? Or when their bike was running bad they would say, I think the power bands are broken

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer

How well did those work?

Good enough for a few japanese factory teams to quietly run them in national races. ;)

The accumulated knowledge we've gained in the last 20 years could probably be used to make them work even better. They just aren't very marketable .

Y2Z

Subscriber
my friend has an old honda(i think) that had 2 spark plug heads, how did these work anyways?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
Another idea that never caught on was having a single cylinder two stroke with a rotary valve carb AND a a conventional carb.  This was done on the Puch 250 which Harry Everts rode to the 250 GP championship.  I'll bet it made great power but was just too expensive.