Jan 3, 2007
I have now added a running 1982 Yamaha IT465 with a fresh top end bored out 2 over and the rest is stock. Over the next Year i will be turrning this Big old ugly vintage iron into a worthy open class racer. I plan on a DG pipe and silencer, Eric Gorr porting and 510 big bore with Pro-lite piston, Excle rims and hubs, new clark tank, new Plastics all around, Powder coated frame and swingarm, baja designs dual sport kit, Boyseen Power reeds, and MORE.

I dont have all that much money yet for it but by then end off this mounth the project will start.

Befor Review:

POWER: The bottom end power and torque is Amazing. It will pull your arms out of your sockets if you let it. The top end is really dull due to poor jetting in the bike but still really fun to rider. The gearing is really tight and close together for woods ridding. Catwalks im all gears can be done with a good deal of effort. The down side is the lack of top end power and Very difficult start.

HANDLING: The thing handles like a tank. The suspension is soft for a 200 pound + rider. The bike dose decent on smaller trail debrie but on bigger hits is when bottoming starts.

ERGONOMICS: Its has a nice and soft seat witch is nice for longer trail rides. The big bulky tank gets in the way when needing to get forword on the bike in deep corners. The bikes pegs are higher up witch is good for rutt clearence but bad for taller riders witch i am not. Bars seem to be a bit too much forward witch would be solved with a different set of bars.

BRAKES: Double drum set-up. Works very well in dry or muddy conditions. Easy adjustabillity, and good seal against water and grit. Would help to have a disk up front because of the weight of the bike but still gets the job done.

RELIABILLITY: Have yet to know how reliably the engine is because of the sort term use but has done good so far. I hear they last along time.

OVERALL: This bike is great for an open class baja or wide open hare scrammble. This bike is not for a begginer in the least to say. Solid engine but hard to start. Fun for such an older bike.

RATTING: I give it a 65 for bad suspension and hard tunning of carb.

Will update when parts have been added. This is the link to the pics of the bike befor.
http://www.bikepics.com/members/2strokes4life/

Jan 3, 2007
uh_oh, the bike is going on hold for awhile till funds are good and then it will get a new pipe, carb, suspension work and plastics and much more. I am working to pay off the new bike so till then she might have to wait. I will post some pics of it with its latest witch are Ice studds later no this week or so.

dadsbadhabit

Oct 10, 2007
Here's mine that I picked up for $350.00 I've already done a bore job and new piston but it still needs some more work here and there.

Attachments

• it465s.JPG
    it465s.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 348
Jan 3, 2007
Nice! Looks alot better shape then mine. I too have a over sized piston and fresh bore. I was talking to x-tremevintageyz and they said that the stock bike is impossible to get the correct jetting with that stock pipe. I might order one in awhile when i can afford it.

dadsbadhabit

Oct 10, 2007
Thanks for the tip on the pipe and jetting situation. I've seen new DG pipes to fit these bikes quite a few places for $200.00. Has anybody seen them cheaper?

tjswigger

May 31, 2004
I have a 83 YZ490 and put an 85 RM 250 forks,wheel and master cylinder on .It really made a difference.I know the YZ went to disk brakes later in the 80's.Maier plastics,and a company called YZ Decals .com can set you up with decals if you so choose.I tried a gas tank sealer product they recommended but after a year it started coming loose from the inside of the tank.I really haven't had much luck getting any to stay on for a whole season. Good luck and keep us posted!

Top Bottom