Vinnyl26

~SPONSOR~
Dec 8, 2000
Well after months of searching for a TT-R125L we finally found a used one that had been ridden three times! Now the bike has a ton of BBR parts. Exhaust Pipe, Triple Clamps with Bars, Frame Craddle, Front Springs, Chain Guide and finally a new Swingarm. All I can say is WOW. It feels like a big bike . I bought this bike for my wife, but both of my other bikes are Red Stickers. If the law passes in California I will be ridding that TT-R during the summer months.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Obee,

It's a California thing. Certain higher-emmision bikes are only allowed to ride certain areas during certain times of the year.

The California emmisions board decided a couple years ago that all their smog was caused by weed whackers and two stroke dirt bikes -- nevermind that the bikes were a tiny percentage of the problem. The bike lobby wasn't strong, and it got enacted.

Pretty much sucks for CA riders. Very frustrating and scary for the rest of us too!

Obee

May 29, 2001
DualSportr,
Thanks for the info. Certainly sounds like a very dangerous precedent has been set. We usually find that laws passed in the States flow on to us eventually. Lucky I own a 4 stroke brushcutter (weed whacker) as well as a 4 stroke dirt bike.
What happens when the lawmakers finally figure out that diesel trucks are a squillion times more polluting than dirt bikes? Of course that'll never happen. Obee

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I dont know but I herd some 4 stroke bikes were red sticker too! Anyway, It is the diesel trucks spuing the most smog, and big pig diesel motors in pickup trucks have never been as popular as now. Diesel trucks dont have to pass emissions, NJ is the only state I have ever herd of that sniff checked trucks, and not even new trucks meet the specks they were supposed to be manufactured to. The short of it is that old people and moms hate dirt bikes and it just is not hard to pass legislation against bad boy rebel dirt bikers that dont vote.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Any bike designed for closed courses whether or not they are 2 or 4 stroke are Red tagged:(

From what I understand that includes any:

CR
YZ & Fs
SX
KX
RM
TM

That's what I understand

mxwiz

Mar 7, 2000
I bought my son a TTR-125 in march and the DMV sent me a green sticker for it. Should it have been a red one? Did I just get lucky because someone at the DMV mmade a mistake?

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
No, you are definitely a green sticker bike

I know that XR's and TTR's are green and I would think the DR's also

Last edited:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by JasonJ
I dont know but I herd some 4 stroke bikes were red sticker too! Anyway, It is the diesel trucks spuing the most smog, and big pig diesel motors in pickup trucks have never been as popular as now. Diesel trucks dont have to pass emissions,

FWIW - Diesel engines emit more particulates, but regular car engines (gas) emit more toxic gases. I don't know why I was compelled to throw this tidbit in here, especially since I don't even own a diesel...

-jeffd

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Diesel engines emit more particulates, but regular car engines (gas) emit more toxic gases.

I was wondering if anyone would bring that up.

Anyway, the main point is, even though our small, inefficient two stroke and four stroke motorcycles do put out more yukky stuff per gallon of fuel burned, the total emmissions of all the motorcycles running on any given Saturday in the southland region of CA is still less than one large paper plant or refinery puts out in a day.

We're just little, and we don't whine loud enough, so we get picked on.

Top Bottom