ProMoto Billet "Kick-It" Review Online

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
That's a very well written review! Great job and it sounds like a great product! I give it: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: (out of a potential 3 of course!)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Sheeesh, I just bought a Pro-Moto billet kickstand for my KX125 and was about to post a review, but I see Rich has already done a very detailed one.

I'll give my point of view anyway-

Fit (perfect) - A+
Quality - A+
Concept - A+
Weight - A+
Function - C+

The fit and quality of this thing were first rate - these guys should be making parts for the Space Shuttle. The concept of a light weight, internal spring kickstand that tucks neatly behind the number plate can't be faulted. Even if you were to case a 120' triple, the kickstand wouldn't flop down.

The only negative - since the kickstand is designed to fold behind the number plate, it's too "vertical" in the down position, forcing you to search for a "sweet spot" in the dirt when you use the stand. If the dirt is too high or too low, the bike will fall over. When parked on concrete, if you turn your bars all the way to the right, the bike will tip over to the right (in the KX125 application anyway - other bikes may be just teetering on the edge).

You can't have both things - a stand that tucks neatly away and one that props your bike easily (unless you made it really complex and expensive)

Overall rating - A- :thumb:

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Trailtech makes a comparable version that has an external spring but is only ~$80. I have one on my '99 WR since the stock Yamaha kickstand is a POS and gets in the way of my size 13 boots.

Brian

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
I installed one on my 03 CRF450 - i like fit and function. my one complaint (concern) is that reusing the factory bolts for kickstand attachment means that they are only getting about 1/3 of the thread bite that they originally did. This is because part of the frame hole has no threads, so even though more of the bolt sticks out and is available to attach, the frame hole has no threads on the outside portion. So, the bolts are screwed into the aluminum frame with about 1/3 of original attachment and we have added leverage force by putting the footpeg further out from the frame (offset by kickstand attachment plate thickness) I am still searching for replacement bolts but not having much success. I contacted ProMoto about this and their reply was no problems yet and that they can't find replacements either. For the cost of the kickstand - I would be willing to pay a little more to have them mfg the appropriate bolt for me. I have photos if anyone is interested in seeing this problem. (guess i'm too much of an engineer...)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Please post the photos. I'd like to see the issue.

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
NVR FNSH said:
Trailtech makes a comparable version that has an external spring but is only ~$80. I have one on my '99 WR since the stock Yamaha kickstand is a POS and gets in the way of my size 13 boots.

Brian
:confused: What's the website for Trailtech?

In reading the review, Rich notes that the chain contacts the clamp on. Would this only be a problem on the yz swingarm and whose clamp on is in the picture. Rockymountain has one for about 60 bucks and I was leaning toward that but I'm concern about that chain hitting it on my KX.:ugg:

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Top Bottom