cnl83

Nov 16, 2005
I searched the threads, but couldnt get a direct answer.
Im putting in a new rod, piston and cylinder. Wondering what is the proper steps I should take to break it in?

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
start it up and run it at full throttle for an hour. No, break it in with heat cycles. no, break it in hard, no easy, no hard.....ahhhhhh, you get my point, there are pros and cons for both. I'd recommend cleaning the bike well, doing your top end, rods, bearings, etc and then starting the bike up and letting it idle while checking for leaks, etc. let it run to operating temperature blipping the throttle but not cranking on it. Then let it cool and put your tools away. Then start it back up, let it idle till its warm and go take it for a ride- not pinning it, not bogging it and varying speed and RPM. let cool - repeat a couple more times and then go riding....that's what I do.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
cnl83 said:
I searched the threads, but couldnt get a direct answer.
Im putting in a new rod, piston and cylinder. Wondering what is the proper steps I should take to break it in?

You should give serious thought to following the procedure outlined in your OEM manual. The OEM method works and will minimize the very real possibilty that you will damage the rod bearings running it too hard too quickly. It takes time for new parts to mate up. ;)

riderdadof4

Dec 30, 2005
Rich Rohrich said:
It takes time for new parts to mate up. ;)
MY grandfather used to tell me to change the oil after the 1st 100 miles and again @ 500 miles. since the break-in period puts minute particles of bearings/ rings/ gears etc in the oil that are too small for the filter, he would also say to drive normal but don't race the engine till at least 2000 miles now this was advice for cars. but I can see applying these princples to m/c. i don't race and only ride for fun but the only time i've do top ends is when the loose compression and that's ussally after i've had a bike for quite some years here in AZ i can ride 10 months out of the year. when i've done top ends I ride a little bit easier, not babying it but never pegging it, for a 2-3 hours then change the oil. and repeat. as i've said I ride 10 months and get quite a few years out my pistons. but to each his own as the are varying opinons(sp?) on the subject

Top Bottom