Proper way to install a clutch kit?

RM125CCF

Apr 27, 2006
I'm stumped. Today I installed the clutch kit twice with the plates starting with friction steel and alternating them, reinstalled the pressure plate, tightened the springs and put the cover back on but still the clutch dragged in 1st. It also would stall if i tryed to kick down to first from neutral and go straight into gear. Is there a special way for the teeth on the hub to mesh with the rod on the clutch cover? everytime i try to do that the release arm will rotate about a 1/4 turn then stop and rotate about 1/4 to half turn back. This is really pissing me off as well because i broke a pressure plate bolt earlier and had to drill out the bolt that was stuck :( Any help is greatly appreciated also if anyone has a site for the generic proper installation of a clutch kit that would be awesome :)

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
if its dragging it might be a notched basket. do a search and you can find out how to remedy that.

RM125CCF

Apr 27, 2006
i checked the basket it does have a couple of notches in it but thats weird my old clutch didnt drag at all and the new one does. Maybe i should switch back to my old clutches.

RM125CCF

Apr 27, 2006
I tryed ajusting it but it seems like if I ajust it for more slack down on the lever on the engine theres not enough to keep the cable tight uptop. Heck even when i held the release lever it still dragged when i dropped it into first and stalled. Is there a special way to install the control rod on the cover? Everytime i did it it seemed to mesh but wouldnt turn in a full 360. This is frustrating. I'm starting to think maybe Im missing some ball that goes on the control arm lever and that its not releasing fully. The manual isnt very specific on how to change this and its real frustrating.

RM125CCF

Apr 27, 2006
ok i figured what i did wrong. I didnt install the circlip on the clutch push pin. Now that ive figured that out i cant get the cable adjusted right like if i give it some slack at the release arm and pull the lever in it doesnt go back into position like if i let go of the lever. I've tryed many times differently to ajust it at both the perch and the cable ajuster over the handlebars still cant get it right. Is my clutch cable bad? Is there any special way i need to adjust it?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
In the diagram posted earlier in this thread, part #19 clutch release arm, did you set it back to the exact position it was before?, try adjusting the position of the arm. If it's a notch too far forward or back it will affect the range of motion of the clutch.

Top Bottom