Proposed Ordinance for Riverside County wants to restrict your rights to ride

TemeculaTim

Feb 2, 2005
On April 12th, 2005 a meeting was held at the Glen Oaks Hills Clubhouse. The purpose of this meeting was to discuss a new draft ordinance that would place restrictions on off road use in Riverside County. The panel for this meeting included representatives from the County Planning Commission , County Supervisor Jeff Stones office, BLM, and the Riverside County Sheriffs Office. I was able to obtain a draft copy of this new ordinance ( 348.4213). The opening section of this draft reads as follows: " Off Highway usage is not permitted as a matter of right in Riverside County" Also included in this draft are restrictions on when you can ride - Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday during daylight hours only. Keep in mind that this refers to private property!! Also included are limits on how may OHV's you may operate on your own property. This draft has serious implications for all of us if it goes through. I live in an equestrian area and fear that this will be used by certain groups to limit my rights as both an OHV enthusiast and property owner. I am trying to gather more information on when the next meeting will be held and will post an electronic copy of the draft as soon as possible. In the mean time, we all need to think about where this could go. I also plan on contacting Supervisor Stones office to see if the panel could include proper representation from our side. I feel that this ordinance will probably go through in some fashion due to the political power from the wine country crowd and agree that there are some real important issues that must be dealt with such as noise, trespassing, and dust. But we do not need anyone telling us when we can ride and how many OHV's we can operate ON OUR OWN PROPERTY. Anyone out there concerned?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
TemeculaTim said:
Anyone out there concerned?

Tim.

Yes, there are several of us that are very concerned about this. This has been an ongoing battle for quite a while now.

Check out the thread, 'The future of dirtbikes in Riverside County'. It's on the bottom of the main page in the 'News Archive'.

This ordinance will ultimatly have to go before the Supervisors. When it does, that will be our chance to give our side of the issue. A similar group tried to pass an ordanance like the one you posted and many off-roaders showed up at the Planning Commission meetings and stopped it.

If you have a date when this will go before the Supervisors, please let us know so we can attend the meeting.

We have the numbers to fight this. We only have to get off our butts and attend these meetings. If you live in or ride in Riverside County, PLEASE, take the time to go to these meetings.

Ol'89r

TemeculaTim

Feb 2, 2005
Proposed Riverside OHV Ordinance - Public Hearing Date

The public hearing on the OHV ordinance is on the planning commission agenda for 5/25/2005. I have a PDF copy of the draft, but cannot upload to this site due to the size of the file (763kb). :yikes:
If someone who can upload this file, wishes to provide an email address, I will forward this on for all to see.

Ol 89'r, I am definitely in for this fight and plan on contacting the planning commission representative to discuss timelines for this ordinance prior to the 5/25/05 meeting.

Top Bottom