HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
This is two questions...First one, they pros have a ton of corner speed and when they get to the top of a jump, they totally let off. Not even a blip or anything. Explain how they can do this without endoing and sometimes having to use rear brake to bring front end down.

Also, how do they do such a great whip. I can jump basicly everything at my track now, except for the real triple. And I was wondering how could I do a whip like that. Looks hard, I'll do a search. But while I'm posting , might as well ask right? Thanks, later.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
haze

its called practice and time on a bike. those guys have rode so much they can tell you or show you exactly what that bike will do in almost any instance.
I am glad you realized that corner speed is the determining factor in racing ability. if a rider can keep up that speed he will go a long way. as far as whips go, I would practice on being a better rider before practicing getting out of shape. since that probably will come with your riding time anyway!

just a comment here but isn't it really a true art form to watch a rider blow through a corner and then hit a triple or big jump and just do it with momentum? I mean think of the effort and dedication it takes for a rider to
execute that riding skill on every lap and every corner not to mention every jump, then put it all together for a 30 min moto. totally cool

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I really love to watch the kids ride mx. I was watching a 11-13 80 class the other day and there was a kid who was totaly dialed into the corners. This kid was amazing to watch. His class was pretty fast, but the rest were no comparison to this kid who would attack each curve deeper than anyone else dared to, and he had mucho roost flying out of each turn. This kid seemed to not even let off the throttle, yet he kept the bike in perfect position every turn. He was effective on the flats as he was the berms. He completely destroyed his compitition each moto.
During the final, I was watching this kid amaze folks.....at the finish triple this kid does a heel clicker to the pleasure of the crowd. A little old lady was next to me and she commented: "Wow, he's a pretty fast rider isn't he?" I told her I thought the kid was destined to be a great rider. She then told me he was her grandson and she had never seen him race before. lol...I let her know that everyone on this track envys his riding ability, Everyone!

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
little 80s.....

THose kids fly, but they've been riding since they were able to walk. I have been riding for about a year. But I haven't been riding the track for a year. It'll be a year in a couple of months though. I haven't been riding this bike for a year, I got it around the middle of the school year. Didn't start riding it untill a couple of months ago. Yeah, I know corner speed is everything, but it's hard. I don't have much brakes left on my front, or rear. So it's hard to slide the rear to where it needs to be. Whips, well they look really cool. And since I'm jumping everything, they only really thing I can do is get faster. And try doing whips. Well thanks for the replies. Later.

Fox_Pilot_101

Feb 26, 2001
Haze i'll better the question

ok on sunday i was at a pro national. and i noticed somethign that really bugs me, even when i watch any amateurs that are good.
this is the thing, they maintain so much corner speed and then right before the jump or lip they totally get off the throttle, but still FLY through the air SMOOTHLY and clear everything, sometimes even having to hit the rear brake to bring the front end down.

ok so now were talking me, i go to the track and let off the throttle on the jumps the SLIGHTEST bit and my back end is right up in the air, and i'll almost go over the bars when i land, but if i keep on the throttle strong all the way up the jump its smooth.

i just dont see how these people can get right off the gas on the lip, but still sail, i can see that if their going that fast they make the jump, but i dont see how there front end doesnt come down the slightest bit.

------------------

:think

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
It's simple.
If you are on the throttle, you keep your weight forward.
If you are coasting a jump, get your weight back.

Now you do need to be careful about the jump type. Kickers need to be jumped on the power, but most of the jumps with good sized ramps can be coasted as long as you shift your weight back before you leave the ground.

DCMan

Jun 2, 2001
can nats

I was at the same nats in Blackstock. Excellent race huh? The kids on the 60's were great!
I noticed the same thing on the jumps. Gets me how they do it! They sure can ride tho!:scream:

Fox_Pilot_101

Feb 26, 2001
ya...

ya the TOP 2 kids on 60's and 65's were amazing! did u watch any races from the grandstand near the big step down kicker? those kids were going bigger off that than the pros, everyone was going nuts, then thye started busting heel clickers and no footer. :scream:

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by Reeko
Kickers need to be jumped on the power, but most of the jumps with good sized ramps can be coasted as long as you shift your weight back before you leave the ground.

Another tip on KICKERS: drag the rear brake. It will keep the rear wheel from kicking you in the @ss.:p

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
re: kickers

Most pros can coast over kickers because they aren't actually hitting the kicker, they are already in the air before they get to it, it's called pre-jumping. Watch closely and you'll see.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I'm serious.. If we're talking about the same kind of obstacle, like a kicker on the face of a jump.. Ever notice how McGrath would stay low in the air, in relation to the other guys? Prejumping. Less hang time means lower lap times.. Being shot straight up doesn't improve your lap times. Watch in slow motion or something if you can, it's true.

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Preloading makes you jump higher and farther on jumps. You preload it so when you hit the lip it launches you! . OR Preload before the lip and while the suspension is rebounding you hit the lip.(which is what CAM is talking about, I think:think) This will soak up more of the impact and not rebound as hard. But it can throw you off balance.
McGrath uses a BMX technique(which he brought to MX) He leans way forward and pushes down on the bars at lift off. This way he keeps the momentum going forward, not up.!:p

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I'll try to explain it better.. If you know what bunny-hopping on a bicycle is, it will make more sense. Think of it like bunny-hopping the upper part of the jumpface. It allows the riders to hit it faster, and get less airtime than if they hit it at that speed without pre-jumping.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Another reason that the PROS don't get launched if they let off,

1) There engine RPM. wheel speed is waaay higher than the average mortale,
we all know that gyro effect helps keep the bike staight (like when you panick and bail over a jump, and the bike lands on two wheels and slows to a stop and falls over). So when a pro leaves a jump, his wheels are spinning at a much higher rpm, which in turn helps keep the bike level in the air, even if he lets off some. (along with body position, etc etc) , JMO

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Good question baked!! LMAO

It's one thing to know how to do it. But actually doing it is another thing!!
You have to just go out and practice them. Start with a small jump and see what does what.?.? That way you get the feel of how to do it and if your doing it wrong it not going to be a bad crash.:scream:

I hear people talking on how to do things, then when it's time to ride they are not doing it. So it will take practice!!:cool:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Too bad they don't have "vocal" suspensions so we could figure out what they're doing. Every time the pre-loaded it could go "Ooh", and every time they unloaded (like Cam was talking about), it could say "Ahh".

The only downside would be that Cam's bike (and mine) would be going around the track making "Ooh, Ooh, OOOHH, Oooh, ..." noises all day long. :scream:

mikee88o

Aug 9, 2001
as for whippin it find a nice tabletop to jump the face and land on the side start by jumping it sideways and landing smooth eventually start jumping straighter off the face this will get you to whip it pretty hard after lots of practice bad part is pulling it back must be learned so watch it on yer first straight-jump whip

mikee88o

Aug 9, 2001
oh yea
letting off on jump faces--i'm neutral on the bike and as i come off the face i let my knees limp and roll my body weight sideways this helps the rear from kicking because its actually slipping off of the face-also keeps you lower
it is done straight alot too but this actually is easier to me

Top Bottom