holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I arrived at the Prospectors enduro site at about 1PM, completed sign ups and entered the Poker run. After the run, it was clear that I was just a teeny bit faster than my last outing, so I was jonesin’ for the next days enduro. I went into Ridgecrest to get a motel room, but every motel on China Lake Blvd was booked. What gives? It turns out that there‘s a dog show that weekend and many people are also staying to see the flowers in Death Valley. They all claim that every motel within a 2.5 hour radius is booked. A chilly stay in my truck looked inevitable, and all because of some kooky dog show and a few posies, but I cruised around Ridgecrest until I found a room at the Heritage Inn. Pricey, but beggars can’t be choosers.

The next morning looked good - a bit chilly, but very tolerable. Sitting on my row waiting my minute to come up, I noticed that I was the only one on my row with any time keeping equipment, and there there didn’t appear to be any time keepers on the row behind or in front either. I casually mentioned that I usually couldn’t keep pace anyway, so my timekeeping comp was more ornamental than practical.

When we took off, it became apparent that I was the fastest guy on my row. What gives? I’m always the slowest, so these guys must be either terminally slow or waiting for me to lead them. This is their lucky day. Hit the first check right on time, but for the second check, I figured I’d ride ‘telligent, keeping nearly two minutes ahead of schedule (the possibles were .7 miles apart, so I thought I could scout ahead). As we approached a hill, I noticed a gaggle of riders gathered at the bottom. But my computer showed that the possible had just passed, so I stubbornly went through the pack, right into a check on the other side of the hill (two minutes early). What gives? I probably took a slight detour somewhere and this added to my mileage. I dragged at least one other rider through the check early as well. This was his lucky day..

Somewhere during the middle of the enduro, I began to hear a “cling cling ba bling bling ca ching” sound. What gives? Is my motor about to blow? When I stopped, someone pointed out that kickstand was falling off – the upper mounting bolt was gone. I had to decide at this point whether to quit or risk cartwheeling though the desert. I decide to continue. At the reset, a fellow Kawasaki rider offered the piece inner tube that he used to hold his spark plug wrench. It worked perfectly. :cool:

About a half mile from the finish, there appeared to be check by trail, so I slowed because I was running slightly ahead of schedule. It turns out the the people beside the trail were photogs (not a check). Infuriated, I went WFO to finish. “You're early”, the checker said. WHAT GIVES? She was right – in my blind haste to the finish, I forgot to check my comp and was about two seconds early. :bang: The guy behind me was about 5 seconds back, so I dragged him through right on time. I feel so used. :(

I was about 45 seconds late at one check (~1:45), so I can add that to the 6 early points dropped.

If all the “family fun” enduros were like this one, I’d attend them all. Realistic first loop speeds and terrain for slowpokes - my kind of enduro.

Last edited:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
(post edit) The soil was damp in spots. There weren't as many ruts as I expected and the 45 mile loop nearly used all my gas. :yikes:

BTW, your 12 tooth cs sprocket worked great. :cool:

Last edited:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
My first district event. :cool:
I had my boys all day Saturday plus some honey doo's so that left me after the boys got to bed to do minimal bike maint and pack the gear and program the watchdog (which took me ~45 min due to stupid and re-stupid). In bed by 11:30, wife came home from partying with friends at 1:30, (it was her birthday) alarm off at 3:30, I remember when that would have been enough sleep............

Scar, Melo yello and I were joined by somone from The Checkers (I think) on row 49. The firs loop had fun and senic terrain, the speeds were slow enough to take in the view and visit and ride together, good fun. My odometer was off a bunch and did learn how to adjust wheelsize on the fly. First loop Scar and I swapped being leader hear and there. Near the end of the first loop we continued to run up on some earlier minutes, they seemed to make us work to get past them. I made a pass on a guy and Scar was behind me, we were slightly behind at that time and a check was due. After a check, and a reset that gave us about 2 minutes, I didnt see Scar. The other guy on our minute catces up and lets me know Tim when down hard. Jake pulls in and says Tim is coming in under his own power, phew. He was definatly scuffed up and had a nice couple of monkey bumps on his left wrist but he said he could still pull the clutch with it on the way back.

I think I dropped about 40 or so seconds on the firs loop. Jake and I left about 30 seconds late for the 2nd loop. I was able to make that up soon enough, but then the rocks came up and the speeds stayed the same. The miles and fatige were starting to take its toll and my damn double vision reared its ugly head, in the rock garden. Lots of audible self prompts to relax and ride smooth aparently blew away with the wind as today my jaw is sore from being clenched. I think I lost 4 minutes in the firs special. I was riding a minute ahead after the reset got me back on and I burned the check near the RR tracks I was beat and really didnt care. I rode slowly trying to get my vision back and drank the last of the camel back before the next special. I droped a bunch of minutes, I dont even know how much at that point but think it was about 5.

I was getting used to riding the double vision and actually managed to pass some guys and make up about 3 minutes of the 5 I was down, just about finished, in sight of the last check, the bike bogs, stalls, out of gas, I knew I should hav e switched it to reserver earlier when I had the chance. Damn. 2 minutes clicked by as I try to relight.

I finished. And tho it might not sound like it, I had a blast.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Thanks HS. how long does it usually take? I need my mediocrity confirmed. :)

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Hey Eric, Congrats! Great Ride!

Me, I took 3rd in class :) I wont tell that there were only 5 in my class ;)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Geez.. I thought my score would be about 7.0045, but it was 10.0079. :yikes:

Truly a boneheaded job of timekeeping (by me). :coocoo:

I want a do-over.

Top Bottom