sorny

May 26, 2004
I've got a Tusk clutch coming Friday so I went ahead and pulled the clutch off my YZ 250 to see how bad it was. It wasn't completely shot. I could adjust it so it wouldn't slip but when I done that it would drag even with the lever pulled all the way in. Adjust it so it wouldn't drag in gear and it slipped at about 1/2 throttle.

Anyways, I don't have a service manual yet (taking forever for them to get them in stock) but I was looking at a tech page on clutches on off-road.com. Only thing is, I pulled 15 plates, starting with fiber and ending with fiber, does that sound right? Made sense to me that it'd start and end with a fiber plate. Also, the "pads" on the fiber plates, I guess it's the actual clutch surface, are only about as thick as 5 sheets of paper. I don't have the new clutch yet so I don't know if that's super low or if they're not that thick to begin with.

I'm hoping this Tusk clutch will work out ok. I done a lot of searching on it and even emailed a few people on here that said they installed it. Most people that had problems with it fading were racing so I figured my slow, grandma style woods riding would be ok. $41.99 with EBC springs is a good gamble :)

2000KDX200

Jan 31, 2005
Hi,

I just put a Tusk clutch in my KDX. It works great, but it does seem to make a lot of noise when you're idling in neutral. I'm hoping the noise will subside as oil gets soaked into the fiber.

sorny

May 26, 2004
Well, just in case anyone was searching for "tusk clutch" like I was I might as well post my results. Got the clutch in Friday, had it installed in about 30-45 minutes, taking my time. I took an old pot and put a little ATF Type F in it (what I run in the bike) and submerged each fiber plate for a few seconds. Took a short ride that day and it done great. Yesterday I done an hour or so of trail riding and it felt pretty good to me. No swelling or anything like some people said. Most of the bad remarks about Tusk clutches seemed to be people to actually raced and raced hard. The people I emailed or read posts from that had the Tusk clutch were woods riders and didn't have problems.

So I definately didn't get ripped off, IMO. Also, mine doesn't have any noise that I've noticed.. unless it was there with my old clutch too ;)

Top Bottom