pump gas (93) vs. 100 octane aviation gas?

parkerCR

Nov 8, 2001
Hey folks,

I have an '01 CR250 with only a few mods, no engine work. I was
curious if there is any benefit to running 100 octane aviation gas as
opposed to 93 octane pump gas. Will it clean out my engine if I run it every once in a while? I don't know if there is any benefit to using this high octane fuel everytime. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
AVIATION FUEL

I MIGHT BE WRONG ON THIS BUT I HAVE HARD SEVERAL TIMES THAT AVATION FUEL IS NO GOOD FOR DIRT BIKES OR ANY OTHER HIGH PERFORMANCE STUFF HERE ON THE GROUND, I KNOW THERE IS A VERY GOOD REASON BUT I CANT REMBER EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS BUT I REMBER SOMETHING ABOUT AVAVATION FUEL NOT BEING AS CONSISTIENT AS RACE FUEL OR EVEN PUMP GAS BECAUSE ITS EXPOSED TO DIFFERENT ALTITUDES AND TEMPS SO QUICKILY THAT THERE WAS NO RESON TO MAKE IT CONSISTENT BATCH TO BATCH BECAUSE THE ENVIROMENT THAT IT IS USED IN IS CHANGING SO QUICKLY THERE IS NO POINT TO TRY TO MAKE EVERY BATCH THE SAME AND PLUS THE PILOTS CAN ADJUST THE MIXTURE FROM THE PILOTS SEAT ANYWAY SO WHEN USED IN DIRT BIKES IT MAKES IT DANGEROUS (FOR YOUR ENGINE) TO USE AND IMPOSIBLE TO TUNE BECAUSE ONCE YOU GET IT PERFECT AND THEN GO GET SO MORE GAS YOU MIGHT BE OFF ON YOUR JETTING AGAIN THERE WERE OTHER REASONS TOO BUT I CANT REMBER BUT I DO REMBER IT WAS NO GOOD FOR DIRT BIKES IF YOU WANT BETTER FUEL RUN RACE FUEL FOR DIRT BIKES.

P.S. I'M NO EXPERT ON THIS ITS JUST WHAT IVE HERD SO DONT HOLD ME TO IT!!!!

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Well, running avgas is not bad. It's just not a good performance choice. You will notice with avgas, the throttle response runs flat because it is not made to suit our application. The fact that pump fuel is in some places very bad and unconsistent makes avgas an option to avoid blowing up your engine. This option is just not performance oriented. It's more of a survival mode if your local pump fuel is really bad.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
parkerCR

Please use the search button above.

Also, if Rich finds this thread, you're toast.:)

parkerCR

Nov 8, 2001
Sorry guys I had no idea this had already been posted. I don't like to do that
anyhow. I will do a search on this but it sounds like a bad idea anyway. Thanks for the info, and again sorry.

Parkercr

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Nothing to be sorry about. :)
This subject has be talked over so many times that some of the members are just tired of discussing it which is why you got some of the replies telling you to use the search.:confused:

Top Bottom