Pushing bearings out of swingarm with vise works great..

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
The topic has been beat to death, so I won't post much more then "it works well".

The swingarm and suspension bearings in my 95 were, like the rest of the bike, badly neglected. The shock bearings were literally half gone, the rollers were flat and stuck and worn to half their thickness. The swingarm bearings were rusting, but working, so at some point a PO must have actually greased those...

Anyway, I did a search on the archives here, and pressing them out with a socket and a vise looked like the way to go.

It worked beautifully! I used by bench vise, a big heavy nasty thing... it took me and a neighbor to line up the two sockets (big on on the "out" side, small one on the "in" side. It took a lot of force, but it eventually popped a little then started moving...

So they are all out, and I'll start hunting replacements.

So thanks to the Canadian Dave collective, the information here has been outstanding... and my project bike is coming along great!

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Just goes to show what a little ingenuity and resourcefulness can do. :cool:
Way to go, cheep. Tucker/Rocky has bearing kits that are reasonably priced.
I love my hydraulic press for jobs like this, but for decades used a large bench vise to handle most "pressing" needs (pun intended).

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Thanx for the tip. I used my friends hydraulic press to get mine out. I did get my new bearings back in with only a large C-clamp, no problem. I froze the new bearings prior to installation(something I had read about here). Dave

Top Bottom