cody pate

Dec 30, 2000
i've been riding off and on for about a year and i'm getting better at everything but my jumping. i can't get myself to try bigger jumps any comments or things i should do to push myself to doing them would help me alot.

Swallow

Mar 8, 2001
If this helps at all.What I did was go slightly faster than what I usually did. I was sh***** myself but I maintained that speed, gave a bit more power thru the jump and launched the jump higher and further.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The biggest hang up that I have when jumping is when it’s a double or triple. I’m scared that I will auger into the face of the second or third jump. Try practicing on single jumps or table tops until you feel more comfortable hitting it at speed. You can also jump to the side of a double to help practice gauging the right speed to do the whole double. It’s a huge mental thing and you’ll have to overcome that before you will be successful. There are still some jumps that I won’t attempt.

Good luck

------------------
Did I do the double?
Ah,um...Sure did. I was right behind you!
My Pictures

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Seems like you are in the same boat as I am. I know that it is all in my head and that I could make the jump if I just held on the gas a little longer.

So, I just hit the same jump over and over and over until I get mad at myself for being a nancy boy and then I finally do it.

Best practiced on a tabletop jump, not a double like this one:
www.sidewinder.cc

I came up short/cased it 5 times in a row until I got fed up with smashing certain things into the gas tank. Let me just say, it much easier on the body to hold the gas on a little longer and make it, than to SLAM into the gas tank.

------------------
A lack of planning on your part
does not constitute an emergency on my part

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I have a friend who has no fear whatsoever, I just follow him over jumps. I garuntee that he will get hurt though, so don't just do it with out some advice or alot of practice. I also became too overconfident towards the end of last summer and I paid the price, bashed up bike, badly seperated shoulder, 6 inch gash on arm, a bad burn, and a concussion. Needless to say I learned that 80 foot tabletops, first laps out and first time being out in a month don't mix. I landed upsidedown and saw stars for a couple minutes and halucinated the rest of the day from the concussion. I can do the jump now, but it took alot of practice and learning how the lip threw me. That brings me to another important lesson of jumping, learn how the lip throws you.

------------------
Aaron's web site

Gates

Jan 18, 2001
I found the best way to learn bigger jumps is to watch a person doing the jump a few times then following them over the jump. Stay at thier pace and if you have watched them jump you will know if they are using their body or bike to help keep things in control. I also like to over jump most jumps the first time but some jumps into corners are not good to over jump.

------------------
I ride like I'm 16 and heal like I'm 61

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Okay, I know this may sound a little stupid... but when I am at a new track and checking out the doubles, here is my method:

I ride a 125, so I watch the 60's and 80's practice and listen to their bikes. If a 60 can make the jump (without sounding like they are going to blow up their motor) then I know I can do it a lot easier. I also watch what lines they take (through the corner before the jump and going off the face). Then I watch the 80's and really listen to their bikes. This gives me an idea of how much gas certain jumps need. So I pretty much go from there. Following behind someone else and judging their speed, scoping out their lines, and hearing their bike also helps.

Last piece of advice - once you do a new double/triple/tabletop/etc. - do it over and over again. Just once isn't good enough. Do it 5-10 clean times in a row and it should become automatic.

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32N
2000 D17 Women's Motocross Champion
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, FMF, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

jtiger12

Feb 15, 2001
Be agressive, and get alot of saddle time..
Make doing this "certain jump" a an hour activity..sit there and watch some guys jump it ahead of you for about 20 minutes. unlike what nikki said.. listen to the eninges on same size bikes on the approach and over the jump. Listening to a 125, or an 80, and riding a 250 is going to do you NO good.. (BRAAAWWAAAAAA) you don't jump on a 250 like that...most important for starters..listen to gear changes out of the corner..After a while of jumping bigger stuff, you will be jumping most things at a district track on the second lap of practice. I would say About 80 % of MotoX jumps are between 20-45 ft. This is an easy hop for a 250..

XphilX

Jul 28, 2000
This truly is a mental thing. My advice would be to first take a good look at all the aspects of the jump, including when you're going to shift, how fast you're going to hit it, etc. Then, once you've got that figured out, hit it, IMMEDIATELY! Don't sit there and think about what might happen, it only makes it worse, and you might end up not hitting it at all.
And remember, over jumping is better than comming up short, and NEVER try anything that's beyond your own capabilities.
-Phil

------------------
Nice guys may finish last, but they get to sleep in.

Tn_MoToX

Feb 27, 2001
jtiger, I think Nikki meant if you are on a new track pretty much, if you are racing how the hell do you propose to whatch the others in your class jump it without getting jumped on or losing for sure?

Brandon

jtiger12

Feb 15, 2001
Same size ENGINE class
read the original post
cody pate did not say TRACKs or RACING in his original post..he said:
i've been riding off and on for about a year and i'm getting better at everything but my jumping. i can't get myself to try bigger jumps any comments or things i should do to push myself to doing them would help me alot.

I don't think he is into racing Tn_MoToX..
anyways, there are always other classes of the same displacement you can watch at a track on any weekend...like 250A, or 250B...125B or 125C etc.etc..

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Geeze jtiger... do you have to be so harsh? I was just trying to help.

What if Cody goes out riding with 125's and he's the only 250? Or what if he's on an XR-100 and rides with 80's. I don't know, you don't know... so we can't decide that. I was just giving MY TECHNIQUE to do big doubles at a race track. I watch the 80's. If they hit a jump in 4th, yeah, my 125 can probably do it in 3rd. I'm not saying to mirror the 80 - it just gives me an idea of how fast. Maybe my technique helps Cody and maybe not. It surely helps me - it's a confidence thing.

And another thing... if you're a beginner 125 C rider - watching the A and B riders wont help much - they can come through corners faster, have modded bikes, probably better suspension, and all bikes are different anyways. For example - at the same track with my RM 125 from last year I could turn a corner in 4th and do the double after it in 4th where now I have to turn the same corner in 2nd and do the double in 3rd on my YZ 125.

My point: I was just offering MY advice just as you offer YOURS. If it helps, it helps, if it doesn't... it doesn't.

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32N
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

ABeeOnAnXR

Sep 10, 2000
Really the one thing is....OVERSHOOTING is a WHOLE lot better than coming up short. Sometimes it's kinda scary to be flyin along and hit a jump.... but try to make yourself.... just a little faster than what you see other guys doing. Good Luck!

------------------
If you don't land.... it don't count.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Well others have said it, but it's definetly mental. Most doubles are very smooth when you clear them. A tabletop of the same size is mentally easier. There isn't that fear of coming up short. I've found that the worst hits I've had are when I tentively decide I'm "going for it." Then as I approach the jump, I start in with the doubts and back off just enough to ensure that what I don't want to happen will. Unless there is a real bad reason not to overjump it (we have a short tall tabletop and jumping long makes for a real harsh, ankle buckling, flat landing), that's the ticket for the first few jumps.

SATxMotoX

Sponsoring Member
Feb 6, 2001
I'm a fairly new rider, less experience than you, and I can relate. It's not that I'm a "Nancy boy" ;) but I guess at 27 you're not as "brave" (read=fearless/stupid) as I was at 17-18. I tend to think more on the safe side (if I come up short here, will the kids still love me even though I'm in a wheelchair?) but I do want to get bit more "sick air" from time to time.
In any case, here's what I've found that you DON'T do...let off the throttle after you've committed to doing the jump...especially on the face or lip. I've pulled off a few "sick" endo's/no-footed/nad-crucher/tank slappers by doing that. And as "sick" as that may look to the bystanders, they aren't much fun. LOL.
Like everyone else has mentioned...start small and build confidence. That's what all of this is anyways...25% skill and 75% confidence in yourself. Build that up over the small ones and the skill will fall into place. Besides, over the small jumps (small doubles and tabletops) the bike will do most of the work for you...just stay on a nice even throttle.
BTW...I agree with most here that the best way to learn is to watch others. But watch more of their technique. See how they are posistioned on the bike at the face of the jump/lip/starting to get air/in the air/landing. Body posistion is a key factor, in my opinion, on riding these bikes and getting airborne makes it even more so.
Good luck, stay safe, and ride within yourself. There's nothing more satisfying that a day of riding, staying safe, and having fun.
Adios,

Chris

------------------
87 KX 250-"The Beast"
Likeable quote: "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining."

Jan 16, 2000
First off, XR250's aren't exactly the best jumpers, they just don't quite have the suspension for BIG stuff.

Also, SatxMotoX, here's another 'likeable quote', and it even sort of applies here.

Don't criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. After that, it's just fine. What the heck, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes.

------------------
Me - 94 RM250, NOT good
The boy - 99 CR80, getting better

My web site - www.us51mx.com

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
i psychic myself up before i do jumps..say to yourself "Just give more gas! gogogogo!" as you come to the jump and when your hit the jump screem..thats what i do...maybe not good advise if your no alone

------------------
---------
-Jason Griffith #86
-Florida Trail Rider
'99 ATK 125cc
Pleaso go to my Site at http://www.geocities.com/dirtsite and sign my guestbook

pokemanyz

Jan 22, 2000
Nikki, I think that was great advice. This whole thread is full of good advice. I hate to admit it but after a little break from riding/racing (19 years) I'm afraid to jump much at all. It's extra hard for me to deal with because I was ranked an expert in 1980.
Now at age 42 I just don't have that no fear attitude. However I'm going to follow the advise presented here and I won't give up,as a matter of fact I'm going to the track today,just one of the perks of unemployment.

JOE13

Nov 15, 1999
It's almost always a lot easyer than I think when i do a jump for the first time. The first double i ever did was about 30 ft and I was on a 96 KDX 200 and I couldnt believe that I rolled over it and cased it for 6 months. Doing a double for the first time is best fealing ever so charish it because it only happens once. Until you do a triple :)

cody pate

Dec 30, 2000
thanks for all the replys it helped me alot im getting alot better in facing my fear of doing big jumps.i did my first double this weekend and it felt get even thought it was not that big....but thanks again

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'm glad to hear that, Cody!! Doing that very first one (as big or small as it may be) is a huge confidence builder to know that you can do it and how it feels to be in the air. Just make sure to do that double over and over again! :confused: Good Job!!

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

paul

Jul 3, 1999
Take your time, I finaly was brave enough to fully gas it the bike flew backwards and i almost broke my back i was out of the game for 3 months. little at a time

Top Bottom