jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
Hey guys MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! quick question for you. i have decided to go with the mobil 1 15w50 oil for my 02 cr250's transmission. the question is, after i drain whatever the guy before me had it, do i just fill it back up until it comes out the check bolt? the manual says 25 oz, but i dont have a measuring utensil for this lol. thank you! (if you have had any experience with this oil plz feel free to tell me if you liked it)
-Jack

skyshot44

May 6, 2003
Yep, just do it like you said.
Just a note on the Mobil1 15W50, I tried that in my Yamaha R1 and there was a significant amount of oil usage (burning or wherever it went, but it wasn't leaking). So I switched back to Spectro4 and no more oil loss.
Although I also used it in my CR125 with no problems. But it wasn't in there for very long either.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by skyshot44
Yep, just do it like you said.
Just a note on the Mobil1 15W50, I tried that in my Yamaha R1 and there was a significant amount of oil usage (burning or wherever it went, but it wasn't leaking). So I switched back to Spectro4 and no more oil loss.
Although I also used it in my CR125 with no problems. But it wasn't in there for very long either.

Did the bike smoke a little with Mobil 1? The only place I can think of you could lose oil and not see a leak is past the rings. Of course on a 2-stroke dirt bike the trans oil does not lube the crank or piston rings, so that shouldn't be a problem.. I use Mobil 1 15w50 on My Kawasaki ZR-7s, both 2-stroke dirt bikes, my Chevy Silverado, and my wife's Honda Civic with no problems, leaks or loss.

skyshot44

May 6, 2003
Originally posted by HiG4s

Did the bike smoke a little with Mobil 1? The only place I can think of you could lose oil and not see a leak is past the rings. Of course on a 2-stroke dirt bike the trans oil does not lube the crank or piston rings, so that shouldn't be a problem.. I use Mobil 1 15w50 on My Kawasaki ZR-7s, both 2-stroke dirt bikes, my Chevy Silverado, and my wife's Honda Civic with no problems, leaks or loss.

Nope, the bike didn't smoke at all. Nothing visible anyways. I just assumed it was leaking past the rings, but there was no smoky exhaust. Not even carbon build up on the tip of the exhaust. It's weird because it lost a substantial amount of oil too. Another thing was that 5th and 6th gear were notchy when I used that oil. When I switched back to the Spectro, everything was normal again.
I didn't notice a difference in shifting when I used it in my CR.
Does your ZR-7 consume oil? With Mobil1 I had to top it off twice within my oil change interval. With the petroleum oil, I never had to top it off.

skyshot44

May 6, 2003
Yeah it was the four stroke that I had problems with that oil.
It worked fine in my two stroker.

Sorry about getting off track from your original questions...

fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
yes for years syn. oil permoted clutch slippage, but now things are a bit different.

We now have syn oil for 4-strokes, 2-strokes, atv, street machines and what ever.

The days of old added or left out certain chemical compounds wich were not friendly to crank cases's that had a combined tranny with it and so much more.

Most 4-strokes loose oil using syn. oil due to it's ultra light wieght. The crank case psi has a dentinsy to push it out the crank case vent into the air box.

On the same note, it also has been proven that syn oil pushes it's self out just about anything.

I truly believe in syn oil but refuse to use it in a bike. Although syn oil does come in 20w-50 and ather grades now.

Bottom line, if it works use it! But on the same note use one thing and stick with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Top Bottom